FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Monkeys (1989) - TV Movie about John DeLorean

My VIN:    6472

Monkeys (1989) - TV Movie about John DeLorean

Monkeys (1989) A BBC TV movie based on the book The DeLorean Tapes, which transcribes the original FBI entrapment tapes of John DeLorean. It was directed by Danny Boyle.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeLorean#Television

Does anyone know where I can acquire a copy of this movie, or watch it somewhere? It was a BBC TV movie so maybe it only aired in the UK, but someone out there must have seen it. Anybody have any connections with BBC and can see about getting a copy of this? We can share with the group, I'm sure many of us would be interested in seeing it.

There is even an IMDB page with a cast & crew listed. A review at the bottom suggests it was pretty good, but "has been rarely seen since its original broadcast".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338260/

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

I have been wondering for years too where a copy or online version of this can be seen. Been drawing a blank for years now too.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Never even heard of this.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Monkeys is a one hour BBC TV movie directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, Steve Jobs). It's based on the FBI transcripts and book "The DeLorean Tapes: The Evidence".

The BBC and Boyle wanted to make a DeLorean movie, but John DeLorean was suing anyone and everyone who was trying to do just that. At the same time in Hollywood, another production company came very close to making a TV miniseries, which would have starred James Coburn. DeLorean threatened legal action, and it was shut down before production could begin. Because of the nature of John's continuing legal problems in the UK, and because The DeLorean Tapes were based on what basically became public domain after the 1984 trial, Boyle and BBC were able to get away with making Monkeys without having John or the British government being able to come after them.

I've got a copy somewhere in my archives, and I've watched it two or three times. It's honestly not very good. The most memorable thing for me was the actor who plays James Hoffman, William Hootkins, most notably known for playing X-Wing pilot Jet Porkins in Star Wars, and Lt. Eckhardt in Tim Burton's Batman. Manning Redwood who plays John DeLorean isn't very good as John; he doesn't seem to have John's characteristics down very well, and makes John come off as looking kind of dense and slow. At least that's my memory of it.

I contacted the BBC several years ago about it, and was told that Danny Boyle claims the copyright to it, and it would best to contact him about getting it released. I contacted Boyle's representatives, and was told that he wouldn't be interested in digging it up. To me, that sounds like he's not happy with the completed result, and would rather leave it dead and buried. That being said, the only way to obtain a copy would be through illegal bootlegs. Please don't ask me to do that sort of thing, as it's something I won't do.

If anything, Monkeys proves that you can't tell the DeLorean story correctly in the span of a two hour feature length movie. Monkeys is an hour, and only covers the FBI entrapment leading up to the arrest. It would be nearly impossible to include John's days at GM, the rise and fall of DMC, the drug trial, etc. in a two hour time frame. That's why it's got to be a miniseries, where you have six or more hours to tell the whole story.
    Last edited by martydmc12; 05-26-2016 at 09:57 PM.
    Living the Dream since 1993 | Board Member of the DeLorean Owners Association | Co-author of Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History
    Like and Follow Facebook.com/DeLoreanOwnersAssociation | Twitter @DeLoreanOwners | DOA YouTube Channel

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by martydmc12 View Post
    That being said, the only way to obtain a copy would be through illegal bootlegs. Please don't ask me to do that sort of thing, as it's something I won't do.
    DeLorean pirate wot pirates all things DeLorean is sad....

Seriously though, totally understandable. Also in agreement that nothing could be explained within an hour, let alone really even two. There are just so many things which need to be placed into context within the De Lorean story to grasp a full, and proper understanding of not just what happened, but they why of it all.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Monkeys is a one hour BBC TV movie directed by Danny Boyle (Trainspotting, Slumdog Millionaire, Steve Jobs). It's based on the FBI transcripts and book "The DeLorean Tapes: The Evidence".

The BBC and Boyle wanted to make a DeLorean movie, but John DeLorean was suing anyone and everyone who was trying to do just that. At the same time in Hollywood, another production company came very close to making a TV miniseries, which would have starred James Coburn. DeLorean threatened legal action, and it was shut down before production could begin. Because of the nature of John's continuing legal problems in the UK, and because The DeLorean Tapes were based on what basically became public domain after the 1984 trial, Boyle and BBC were able to get away with making Monkeys without having John or the British government being able to come after them.

I've got a copy somewhere in my archives, and I've watched it two or three times. It's honestly not very good. The most memorable thing for me was the actor who plays James Hoffman, William Hootkins, most notably known for playing X-Wing pilot Jet Porkins in Star Wars, and Lt. Eckhardt in Tim Burton's Batman. Manning Redwood who plays John DeLorean isn't very good as John; he doesn't seem to have John's characteristics down very well, and makes John come off as looking kind of dense and slow. At least that's my memory of it.

I contacted the BBC several years ago about it, and was told that Danny Boyle claims the copyright to it, and it would best to contact him about getting it released. I contacted Boyle's representatives, and was told that he wouldn't be interested in digging it up. To me, that sounds like he's not happy with the completed result, and would rather leave it dead and buried. That being said, the only way to obtain a copy would be through illegal bootlegs. Please don't ask me to do that sort of thing, as it's something I won't do.

If anything, Monkeys proves that you can't tell the DeLorean story correctly in the span of a two hour feature length movie. Monkeys is an hour, and only covers the FBI entrapment leading up to the arrest. It would be nearly impossible to include John's days at GM, the rise and fall of DMC, the drug trial, etc. in a two hour time frame. That's why it's got to be a miniseries, where you have six or more hours to tell the whole story.
    Thanks for the low down. Since it's based on the "Tapes" book, I'm assuming it's mostly scenes of telephone calls and meetings and then maybe the drug bust at the end? Did they show any cars?

My VIN:    16353

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Thanks for the low down. Since it's based on the "Tapes" book, I'm assuming it's mostly scenes of telephone calls and meetings and then maybe the drug bust at the end? Did they show any cars?
    I dug it up from my archives and just finished re-watching it. I'd forgotten how bad it was. Manning Redwood is just awful as John. Awful, awful, awful. I think he's wearing a wig. No charisma whatsoever, very unlike John.

There's a car in John's offices, which makes no sense. Later there's a shot of John sitting in a room, contemplating about what he's gotten himself involved with. He stares at a DMC-12, again, I believe in his Manhattan offices?

The entire film feels more like a stage play, rather than a film. It really is just transcribing of the FBI tapes. I pulled the book out and followed along. They added a few lines of a dialogue in a few places, nothing that changes the situation or the characters, but just a few lines here and there to give it better flow.

Yes, they show the drug bust at the end. Again, Manning Redwood is just awful. He plays John in more of a clueless manner than he really was. It may not be flattering to John in that respect, but it's played in a way that it just makes John look all the more innocent, but only so because he wasn't smart enough to know what he was getting into.

When I get the chance, I'll get a few screen captures from it, and post them for everyone to see.
    Living the Dream since 1993 | Board Member of the DeLorean Owners Association | Co-author of Back to the Future: The Ultimate Visual History
    Like and Follow Facebook.com/DeLoreanOwnersAssociation | Twitter @DeLoreanOwners | DOA YouTube Channel

My VIN:    3997

When I get the chance, I'll get a few screen captures from it, and post them for everyone to see.
    Yes please! I wish you could upload the whole video as I would love to see it.

-Ryan
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Update: The film is available online for download

I barely just discovered this news, but apparently BBC has made this film available, along with some of Boyle's other early work, on www.bbcstore.com since January 2017.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/wor.../DannyBoyleBBC

https://store.bbc.com/collections/da...yle-at-the-bbc

The only issue is it's only accessible in the UK. The article states it's on a download-to-own service and can be downloaded to watch offline. Would anybody in the UK be willing to download the film and send it to me? I can Paypal you the fee for the download - please PM me!

Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech RamblinDMC's Avatar

My VIN:    2203

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Same here!

I'd like to be able to watch the film as well! How much is the download?