FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: DeLorean Ground Schematic

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

There are some braided wires connecting some of the body panels, for example on the fender near wiendshield to somewhere I forget right now, but I'll get a list if yours are gone and you want them.

Banned

I wasn't concerned about body panels connected to each other.

I traced ground wires inside the passenger compartment, every single one of which ultimately passes through the rear bulkhead bolt, and ground wires attached to the radiator bracket.

I did not trace ground wires in the engine compartment, other than those that pass through the bulkhead connectors (nee bulkhead bolt), because I do not have stock engine compartment wiring to dissect. Someone else can fill that in if they want.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    03572

It's still nice to crimp the terminal so it holds things while you solder. Not to bad if you only have one wire in the terminal but with many wires crimp it with anything.

When I made a new ground cable for my front bank of relays, I had eight 16 AWG grounds and one 16 AWG going to the junction. For that I just cut the ring off a 6 AWG terminal and could crimp all those wires together. Then is was soldered and shrink tubed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

No need to crimp a battery cable. Remember: we're dealing with something as large as a bolt here.

I hold the cable in a vise, drill and flux my terminal, slide it on, then flow the solder in.

Word of caution: the cable will keep wicking solder as long as you feed it in. Don't get carried away or you will end up with a solid core cable (that is even less flexible than solid copper) rather than a stranded one.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    Word of caution: the cable will keep wicking solder as long as you feed it in. Don't get carried away or you will end up with a solid core cable (that is even less flexible than solid copper) rather than a stranded one.

Bill Robertson
    Agreed.

Also I don't recommend soldering with the flat relay socket terminals. Unless your real careful you will get solder flowing pas the bottom part of the terminal and then your relays will not seat fully. You can test this by sticking a new terminal and a soldered terminal onto a relay and see how far they seat. You may be able to do it with brass but not with tin plated terminals. Been there done it.
    Dave M vin 03572

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

While I am diligent in maintaining the electrical integrity of my car, this one eluded me... I had checked all of my ground connections and was convinced I was in good shape. I decided today, since it was a RARE low humidity, only 92 degree day in Houston, to solder all of my connectors to their cables using my handy dandy propane torch and spool of solder. Well, lo and behold, when I got to the MAIN ground; battery to frame, the bolt was in good connection, but the connector on the end of the wire was spinning on the wire! This is located right next to the passenger side TAB. CHECK THIS PEOPLE!! With time, these funny 90 degree clamped on connectors are starting to come loose from the wires. In the attached pics you see what I'm referring to, but make sure you check ALL such wires. I have pulled it out, cut an inch off the end, dremmeled the connector, reattached it to the wire and soldered the connection. BAM!
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Good catch! Folks should inspect these little guys more often too, not just the ground bolt. I've seen several in the past few years simply missing.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    While I am diligent in maintaining the electrical integrity of my car, this one eluded me... I had checked all of my ground connections and was convinced I was in good shape. I decided today, since it was a RARE low humidity, only 92 degree day in Houston, to solder all of my connectors to their cables using my handy dandy propane torch and spool of solder. Well, lo and behold, when I got to the MAIN ground; battery to frame, the bolt was in good connection, but the connector on the end of the wire was spinning on the wire! This is located right next to the passenger side TAB. CHECK THIS PEOPLE!! With time, these funny 90 degree clamped on connectors are starting to come loose from the wires. In the attached pics you see what I'm referring to, but make sure you check ALL such wires. I have pulled it out, cut an inch off the end, dremmeled the connector, reattached it to the wire and soldered the connection. BAM!
    That's the same that John had found and posted on his site for selling his new ground cables. Guess I better check mine. Or better yet, put a real terminal on that wire.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    5625

I know this is an old thread but does someone have a picture of the grounding junction behind the AC duct. This would be one of the last grounds I have not cleaned up on my car.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but does someone have a picture of the grounding junction behind the AC duct. This would be one of the last grounds I have not cleaned up on my car.
    Pretty hard to get a photo of it (black on black in a dark place) but I can see mine clearly with a good flashlight. After you find it you might decide to leave it alone...

For your hunt refer to earlier posts in this thread along with Bill's schematics in the early ones. Try posts #4, 7, 9 and 10, to get an idea about it then look up to the right of the driver side footwell, left of the gas pedal and above the A/C distribution ducts, sort of in the middle. Look for a half dozen or so black wires all running in parallel into a thick, freestanding stub wrapped up in black tape. That's the junction. It's a gathering up of component ground wires connected to a main ground wire that in turn runs back to the bulkhead ground bolt according to the schematic. The junction isn't bolted to anything.

This isn't the same situation as some of the other grounds on the car you can 'clean up' by unscrewing a nut or bolt and cleaning up some ring connectors.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6