FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Ground Schematic

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Raffle Tickets Anyone

Raffle Tickets Anyone?

And this part of the wiring harness is to wrap around the lady's neck who interrupted my video and strangle her!

Kirk

Banned

The two black wires from the Lambda ECU to the bulkhead connectors were ID'd using Dave Delman's bulkhead connector diagram. Unfortunately his diagram does not correspond well to the DMC factory wiring diagram. The wiring diagram does indeed show three ground wires coming off the Lambda ECU:
    - One grounds the case (the screw on top of the harness connector)
    - One grounds Pin 5
    - One grounds Pin 16

Tomorrow I will trace exactly which two of the above go to the bulkhead connectors, and relabel my schematic using connector color and position only (I'll use Dave's numbers). Dave does have the wires in the correct places, but I find it hard to believe that the control pressure regulator is grounded through the Lambda ECU rather than its housing.

The four bulkhead ground wires coming off the bulkhead junction were also ID'd using Dave's diagram (notice he's left the Yellow connector blank). He does have the rear lighting ground correct, but I'm at a total loss if the auto trans connectors are ID'd properly. They're in the right positions -- I just don't know for sure what they're grounding in the trans.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207; 08-26-2011 at 12:19 AM.

My VIN:    03572

So the blower and the head lights have there own ground wire running back to the bulkhead. So those should not affect the dash volt gauge.

So in my opinion the only real dumb thing they did was connect the inertia switch ground common to the dash ground. I still think they should have connected the front lights to the frame ground and that would have saved them wire and running through the connector pins. I may make those front lights a frame ground when I pull those front connectors to install new pins.

What size wire ties that bulkhead common to the frame?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post

DMCTalk is automatically downsizing my original (1300 x 1600 pixels). If you want a larger copy, shoot me your eMail address.

Bill Robertson
    email me the original and I'll get the larger version posted.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

Gotta make a few changes first:

The lambda harness connector in the car doesn't match the wiring diagram at all. The wiring diagram shows 9 pins. The connector in the car has 34 positions, but only 8 pins. Black wires in the car are also in different positions than the wiring diagram. I guess DMC made an 11th hour ECU change but never updated the wiring diagram. I have labeled my schematic "Far End" and pointed with an arrow. The two black wires are at the far end, adjacent to each other.

I have no idea what these wires do. All my K-Jet wiring is ripped out, so I can't ring them out to whatever used to be on the far end of the bulkhead connectors. To be brutally honest, I don't know for certain that they are even ground wires. They are black. They are in their own little worlds (they are not connected to chassis ground without something at the far end doing so). I have labeled their bulkhead connector positions, using Dave Delman's numbering scheme, and left it at that.

Dave has correctly identified the rear light ground, so I left that as is on the schematic.

The grounds in the Red bulkhead connector do not match either of my cars' wiring exactly: both of my cars have the neutral safety switch grounded through position 16, not position 14. Makes no operational difference of course, but it does matter how I label the other two bulkhead pins. Numbers 13 and 14 are ganged together, 16 has its own wire. I decided to simply label all three of them generically.

Latest revision:
    DeLoreanGroundsFinal3.jpg
    I'll eMail a full size version to Sean and see if he can't get it posted somewhere.

Remember that this is still a work in progress -- mostly finished, but still subject to change.

Bill Robertson

Just noticed that the way I drew the window switch grounds made it look like they share a large gauge wire from the junction. Redrawn to more accurately represent the actual configuration:
    DeLoreanGroundsFinal4.jpg
    I also changed labeling of the Lambda ECU to hopefully be less confusing.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    What size wire ties that bulkhead common to the frame?
    6 gauge.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    I'll eMail a full size version to Sean and see if he can't get it posted somewhere.
    Got it and once I get out of this 6 hour retention meeting I'll get it up. My iPad is not very forum management friendly.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

I suggest that now is a good time to merge and edit the several ground threads going on right now.

Banned

They're sorted out pretty well already:

This thread covers the stock setup, so it belongs in General.

Ground buses are modifications, so that thread likewise belongs in Mods.

The Resource section above doesn't need a bunch of extraneous commentary, so really the only thing that belongs there is the latest version of the schematic, and perhaps a few pertinent comments such as wire gauge from the bulkhead bolt to the frame.

Some of the same pics have popped up in both the Schematic and the Ground Bus threads, which gives the appearance of duplication, but content itself is significantly different (the same pics were just used to illustrate different points, stock versus mod).

Bill Robertson

Ok, Bill, the one you have uploaded seem proper to me as when I upload this guy I can click on him and he expands. Does this not work for others? You actually have to click on him twice to make it expand.

DeLoreanGroundsFinal3.jpg

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

Nice job Bill..

The one thing that bugs me about this is I have run 8GA wire from the radio bracket down to the frame bolt on at least 6 cars now, and noticed an improvement (based on the dashboard voltage gauge) in ALL of those cars.

On one car, when I put the bolt back in I missed one of the wires. IIRC, the dashboard did not work because of the wire I left off. If that radio bracket bolt is just for the radio itself, then that would not make any sense.

There is the possibility that the harness was changed at some point in production. We know there are electrical differences in the various vintages of DeLoreans.
    __________________________________________________ ____________________
    Got any new Purflux oil filters? I may want to buy them.
    Learn about Vin 01860 with a Legend Industries engine: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...oDeLorean.html
    I can fix your Craig W460 radio: https://malevy-dmc.blogspot.com/2022...te-player.html

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast