FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: how to remove door lock

My VIN:    SCEDT26T1BD001651

how to remove door lock

Dear all,
    a quick questions for the experts here: my driversside door look only closes the door, I cannot open it with the door lock. I am meanwhile inside the door, the internal mechanism inside works perfectly. But I can see that the look only moves the rod to the closed position (even when all other rods are disconnected), but not in the other (open) direction. The style of the look is the old (black) one. There is no clip holding the lock, how can it be removed?

Thanks for any hints here!

Eugen

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi Eugen,

Welcome! If your door latch doesn't work on the outside, but works on the inside, you can follow the door lock and latch procedure TSB:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/bulletins/ST-10-8.81.html

In my case, my drivers door was doing the same thing, and the cause was that rear striker pin was too far down. I adjusted that and it was great. I didn't have to do the TSB.

Here is the thread:
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?13...ustment-needed

No saying that your situation is the same, but it's something to check.

Cheers,
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-28-2016 at 04:00 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks for your information! But here the lock is really my problem. When I disconnect all the links to the bellcrank I cannot rotate the bellcrank to the "open" position with the key in the door lock. I can rotate the bellcrank by hand so it has to be the lock. I also compared it to the passenger side lock where I can see that I can rotate the lock internals with the key a lot more in the opening direction.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by eseethal View Post
    Thanks for your information! But here the lock is really my problem. When I disconnect all the links to the bellcrank I cannot rotate the bellcrank to the "open" position with the key in the door lock. I can rotate the bellcrank by hand so it has to be the lock. I also compared it to the passenger side lock where I can see that I can rotate the lock internals with the key a lot more in the opening direction.
    Oh, I understand now. Have you tried freeing the lock a bit? I had to do this to one side. I sprayed WD40 into the key slot, then inserted the key and wiggled it slightly back and forth and in and out until it was freed up. Then I put black graphite in it.

But if you need to remove it, by your VIN, I assume you still have the earlier door lock, the all black one. Like so:

image.jpg

If so, here are a couple pictures of the inside of mine taken through the rearward most hole in the top portion of the door...
    image.jpgimage.jpg

I haven't removed the tumbler assembly, but if yours is the same, it looks like you rotate the black plastic ring to line up the tab with the notch in the door.

Perhaps someone who has done this can confirm.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 05-29-2016 at 08:01 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Thanks for the pictures! I tried freeing the lock but was not successfull. Yes, my lock looks exactly like yours! Turning of the black inner plastic ring is not possible, there are two other notches in the stainless door with pins in the black plastic of the lock. How do I get it out without destroying the lock?

greetings...........Eugen

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If you can get to them, I've heard that it may be possible to squeeze the tabs on the sides of the lock to remove it without destroying it.... of course, those could just be rumors....

My passenger door was an old style...and I tried many ways to do push the tabs...but in the end I just broke the lock apart til it came out...but then Im planning on new locks anyway.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Solved!

To all in this situation: it is really impossible to get the lock out without destroying it (the old style door locks) - but what is possible is this: pry off the white ring in the back of the lock with a small screwdriver (very easy). Then you can adress the little pin at the end of the shaft there. It is not possible to hammer it out, but with a small pipe wrench you can squeeze it through its hole. Without the pin the lock internals come out. Then you can try to fix the lock (cleaning, lubricating, removing small edges of the lock shims).
    My lock works again!

Eugen