FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Brake Issue

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Brake Issue

Working on a friends Delorean. New master cylinder several years ago. Owner changes his brake fluid religiously every two years with GT LMA or whatever they call it now.
    Front left caliper drags at times.
    Car pulls to the right when braking
    Took the front left caliper off, pushed a piston in with a C clamp, and the other piston pushed outward
    Both pistons move in and out
    Put C clamps on both pistons, couldn't push them in.
    Hoses aren't kinked or twisted
    Orginal lines, hoses
    No fluid leaks seen anywhere

Any common problem here? Bad hoses? Fluid blockage in a line?
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

Sounds like a bad hoes to me because I had the same situation with mine a few years ago. I change the lines and put a new master cylinder on it and flushed all the brake fluid and it worked fine ever since but now it's doing it again but I still have the original brake calipers pads and rotors on my car which are going to be changed out next week. I definitely would have the bed on the original hoses and I'm sure they are starting to get collapsed on the inside from Heat.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

My VIN:    03572

Mine has always had an intermittent problem with drivers side front dragging. Will notice it sometime when braking the wheel will pull. I've had both front calipers apart two or three times and never found the problem. I just live with it now. I have new front SS hoses also and SS pistons.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Mine has always had an intermittent problem with drivers side front dragging. Will notice it sometime when braking the wheel will pull. I've had both front calipers apart two or three times and never found the problem. I just live with it now. I have new front SS hoses also and SS pistons.
    Replace the hoses
    David Teitelbaum

+1 on replacing the hoses

had probably the same problem when I bought the car and drove it home.

Original hose was working like a valve - let pressure to the caliper but would not release it anymore.
    Common problem with old ruber brake hoses as I was told.

check out this example:

http://www.rt.disunddas.de/Bremsscha...fgequollen.jpg

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Thanks for the help, everyone. I'm also reading that brake hoses swell with age and restrict flow. Plus the rubber will eventually deteriorate and release some particles. It seems some new stainless hoses are in order.

Time to get a hold of a flare nut wrench and a ball joint separator.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Replace the hoses
    My front hoses have been replaced. I wonder if the rear hoses (think they are OEM) could cause the front to have that intermittent problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My front hoses have been replaced. I wonder if the rear hoses (think they are OEM) could cause the front to have that intermittent problem.
    The rear hoses can't affect the front calipers. If a hose acts like it has a check valve in it, it will only affect the one caliper it is attached to. If you see a hose go bad good practice is to replace the hoses on that axle or even better every brake hose since they usually have all seen the same amount of service life. The brake fluid gets in between the layers of the hose and swell it inside like an anuerisim preventing the pressure from releasing in the caliper and getting back to the reservoir. That makes the caliper drag even if you release the brake pedal. So if the car is pulling to the right it is the right side caliper and hose that is the suspect. Do not confuse this with a sticking piston in a caliper. The test will be if it still drags even after replacing the hose. Then you must rebuild the caliper. Again, if you have to rebuild a caliper you need to do them all.
    David Teitelbaum