FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Seat covers

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Andrew, I can't respond to your PM currently, looks like you need to free up some space.
    'The following errors occurred with your submission
    Andrew has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.'
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....
    The Future's DeLorean Club

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    Andrew, I can't respond to your PM currently, looks like you need to free up some space.
    'The following errors occurred with your submission
    Andrew has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.'
    I cleared out a few messages. It should work now.
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177
    1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (4.2 I6, 4 Speed)
    1983 Pontiac Trans Am (Knight Rider Conversion in progress)
    1985 Oldsmobile Toronado (daily driver)

Solex carb and antenna television guru.

"My carbon footprint is bigger than yours!" :-)

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Re-fitted.

01.jpg
    02.jpg
    03.jpg
    04.jpg
    05.jpg
    06.jpg

Very happy with them
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....

My VIN:    2805

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

So what does everyone think of a different color other than black or grey? Red perhaps? Might look good with the rest of the interior being black? Other colors? Just looking for opinions, not ready to redo my covers yet.

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeWard View Post
    +1 I would definitely agree with that.

I just had my seats recovered by a trimmer in the UK, he has a stock of NOS material and as such is able to produce covers that look spot on to original.
    A major deciding factor for me was that they look original, I'm not a fan of completely smooth covers, and the ruching on the leather of the DMCH covers in my opinion is over pronounced.

Attachment 47685
    Those look totally spot on in picture!
    I had a cache of original NOS covers (about 20 sets at one point) so got to study them well.
    I love the original wrinkle pattern, which these are and look lovely.
    Just a side piece of info... The NOS gray covers stiffened because of the almost "paint-like" dye, vs the black covers which remained much more supple with a more "liquid" dye.
    Mike, how does the material feel from this trimmer using original material? Just curious.
    To anyone searching out NOS covers, having the gray ones done the way Mike's trimmer did would be an ideal option in my opinion.
    Along with the new stitching, you should enjoy many years with these!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

Not a self styled 'Guru'

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    Those look totally spot on in picture!
    I had a cache of original NOS covers (about 20 sets at one point) so got to study them well.
    I love the original wrinkle pattern, which these are and look lovely.
    Just a side piece of info... The NOS gray covers stiffened because of the almost "paint-like" dye, vs the black covers which remained much more supple with a more "liquid" dye.
    Mike, how does the material feel from this trimmer using original material? Just curious.
    To anyone searching out NOS covers, having the gray ones done the way Mike's trimmer did would be an ideal option in my opinion.
    Along with the new stitching, you should enjoy many years with these!
    For reference, these are my old covers. Some would argue that they didn't warrant replacing, but they had some issues which were bugging me. The drivers seat had a wear mark on the side bolster, along with a tear along the seat base, and on both seats the ruching was starting to look a little saggy. All of which in of themselves could have been fixed, but by the time you have paid out to have that taken care of, you're into a couple of hundred already. What can't be fixed however is the scrim foam backing which is sewn into the covers when they are made - the foam disintegrates with age. With all that in mind it made more sense to me to invest in a set of new covers.
    DSC_1269.jpgDSC_1270.jpg
    IMG_2064.jpgIMG_2065.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpgIMG_2067.jpg
    IMG_2068.jpgIMG_2069.jpg

Comparing the old covers to the new, there is no comparison, the leather on the old covers was hard and stiff (despite being looked after whilst I have owned the car).
    The new covers on the other hand, are soft and supple, and were assembled with new scrim foam. They really are so much more comfortable to sit on.

The problem with ready assembled NOS covers, is that the scrim foam will have disintegrated by this point, which may explain the hardness you were describing. As it's sewn in when the cover was made, it is not easily replaceable.

There is an old video of Lee at work on Youtube making a new cover for a Corvette. You can see the skill that goes into making a seat cover. He is a craftsman.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBFpINMjXEU
    Last edited by MikeWard; 12-13-2016 at 06:54 AM.
    DeLorean Club

The Future's Bright....

My VIN:    04194: 5-Speed, Black Int, 79 Peugeot 604 Manifold, 05052: 5-Speed, Gray Int, 78 Peugeot 604 manifol

Quote Originally Posted by Ras12 View Post
    Attached are photos of the sample sheet they sent me. I went with the DIM Grey not the DOVE gray as I thought the Dove was too light.

Also I noticed that the mailing address is Texas but the contact phone number is a Massachusetts area code.
    Did you receive / install the Dim Grey covers yet? If so, post pictures, it would be great to see the results! :-)
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177

For anyone who is interested, here is a picture of the L Seat sample card with my stock grey seats. Dim grey appears to be the closest match by far. L Seat Sample Card.jpg
    Andrew
    4194 Since 7/98
    5052 Since 7/14

1972 Buick Riviera
    1974 Bricklin SV-1 177

I see several options from the regular vendors, but want to hear opinions on them before I make a move. My seats suffer from the typical issues: dried out from years in storage, tears, wear, etc. I considered asking around about local upholstery shops, but what are the chances that any have worked on D seats...and with the right results. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by DMC5276; 08-24-2017 at 05:23 AM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5276 View Post
    I see several options from the regular vendors, but want to hear opinions on them before I make a move. My seats suffer from the typical issues: dried out from years in storage, tears, wear, etc. I considered asking around about local upholstery shops, but what are the chances that any have worked on D seats...and with the right results. Any thoughts?
    Hi there,

I went with the DMCH seat covers, and installed them myself. I inquired at a quality upholstery shop for installation, but they had no experience with Delorean seats and therefore quoted a ridiculously high price.

So I figured rather than being their highly priced Guinea pig, I'll trust my own skills to learn to install them using the great instructions available on this forum. It was a lot of tedious work, but they turned out well...

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12