FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blower motor, Can the bushings be replaced?

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Blower motor, Can the bushings be replaced?

Hi all. I've had an issue with my blower motor making a bad, Growling sound and I finally pulled it and noticed it has a Lot of play on the output shaft side.
    I've done some searching here and there's some info on cleaning, oiling the bushings, and even a Siemens PM106 drop in replacement motor. (Is it Really, Drop In)?

The motor still runs strong so I'd hate to replace it just because of a bushing. It looks like a sealed unit and I wondered if there's a way to disassemble the old motor and just replace the bushings?
    Finding a new bushing isn't a worry for me, as I could just make a new one at work if necessary. (Out of OilLite material).

Thanks in advance for Any help/insight.

George
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

I'm running Autozone PM105. Bolts right up but you do need to reverse the leads to get it to spin counter clockwise. $14.99 with lifetime free replacement.

Bill Robertson

Watch out with that "reverse the leads" comment. You'll be connecting the + to a - and a - to a + ------------ unless you think it through! You're better off getting one that turns the correct way unless you know your stuff.

My VIN:    03572

Does the Autozone motor use the case as ground? My dad had a 1956 Anglia, which had a positive ground and I installed a radio and had to reverse the power. You would get a little tingle when you touched the radio because the case was +12 volts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Under normal circumstances (clockwise rotation) it does. If you reverse polarity the mounting plate of course becomes positive. Evaporator box is plastic (electrically neutral) so it doesn't matter. Autozone sells squirrel cages with clockwise fins if you want to leave polarity alone, but I don't know if they will work well with location of the evaporator box inlet. OEM squirrel cage of course won't work at all with clockwise rotation (fins are pointed in the other direction). Counter clockwise blower motors are not easy to find on this side of the ocean. Hervey has found both counterclockwise motors and squirrel cages, so it can be done, but I didn't have much success searching through Autozone's computer system -- every motor I found was clockwise.

Bill Robertson

inlet does not matter, it sucks from the same direction.

it's the outlet of the blower - the housing is optimized for the original direction.

I think the Siemens fan I bought 2 years ago worked correctly for less than $30

I happened upon this on e-bay. Seems to be the correct part number.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-old-stoc...-/301848144225

Mostly Harmless... refugeefromcalif's Avatar

My VIN:    6599

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post

Thanks for the eBay link!
    Since nobody knew if the output shaft bushing could be replaced on the old one, I'll search a bit more online this weekend for a new one. (With the Correct motor direction).
    If I can't find one local, I'm going to bite the bullet and order one from DMCMW monday. (I miss driving my D as it's HOT out now).

George
    Last edited by refugeefromcalif; 06-03-2016 at 09:23 PM.
    George.

1974 BMW RS90 motorcycle
    1981 DeLorean. Cruise Control, Wings-A-Loft, Eibach springs, Spax shocks, Stage1 exhaust, Manual, Grey and Grooved, LED clock and fixed pulls.
    1993 del Sol S (With a Few, Upgrades)
    2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post

Autozone shows 1980 Skyhawk as spinning clockwise (just about everything on this side of the Atlantic does). You could of course reverse polarity to spin it counter clockwise, but for the money you'd be just as well off buying a $15 Autozone motor with lifetime warranty.

Bill Robertson

Just because a blower motor fits in the evaporator box doesn't mean it will work properly. Putting a DeLorean squirrel cage on a clockwise spinning motor won't work well at all because the fins will be pointed in the wrong direction. Apparently substituting a clockwise squirrel cage won't work well either because of the shape of the evaporator box.

I'm running a clockwise motor wired up backwards so it spins counter clockwise, with the original squirrel cage. Works excellently. If/when the motor dies, Autozone will give me a free replacement. And it only cost $15.

Bill Robertson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast