FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Bleeding Brakes (And Clutch) By Yourself

How To: Bleeding Brakes (And Clutch) By Yourself

There are all sorts of one man brake bleeders you can buy, but all you need is an empty bottle, a length of hose, and a little bit of brake fluid at the bottom of the bottle:

BrakeBleeder.jpg

When you press the peddle, air exits the hose and rises to the top of the bottle. When you let the peddle up liquid brake fluid from the bottom of the bottle gets drawn back in.

I've been bleeding brakes and hydraulic clutch lines this way since the 1980's (that's why I still use an old deposit bottle, which by the way is a perfect size, shape, and weight to hold the hose). Hasn't failed me yet.

(Large metal object in the foreground is a thrust arm. That's what Lotus was trying to emulate with the sway bar).

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

That bottle actually looks as though it still has Pepsi in it. Is this part of the secret? Carbonated brake fluid, haha!

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I've been using this method myself for 20 years, it is actually spelled out to do it this way in old 50's Chilton's or 60's MOTOR's Auto Repair manuals. I've never had a problem, I use vacuum line so that it holds a seal over the bleeder screw nipple, the only thing is the line tends to swell after being in fluid for years.
    Last edited by dn010; 06-03-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Spelling correction
    -----Dan B.

I like to use clear nylon tubing because it allows me to see any bubbles. If you've got a real rusty bleeder screw, fluid sometimes comes out as a thin stream, leaving a bunch of air in the tubing (that's when you have to pull the bleeder screw all the way out and clean it out).

I assure you: I used new brake fluid. It comingles with old fluid in the bottle, turning the bottle brown. Fluid in the tubing will be clear (that picture was actually taken before bleeding -- that's why there isn't brake fluid all over the tire).

Bill Robertson