FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Craig W460 repair help

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Bluetooth!

Hi there,

I thought I'd share a cassette to Bluetooth product that I got today...

image.jpg

I just inserted the cassette and it allows me to play my music wirelessly from my phone and also hands free cell phone through the car speakers. At first test today, it sounded great, and didn't have any significant static/noise. Not bad for $21..

I'll try to upload a video soon...
    Last edited by DMC-81; 07-01-2016 at 06:33 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    3610

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

I thought I'd share a cassette to Bluetooth product that I got today...

image.jpg

I just inserted the cassette and it allows me to play my music wirelessly from my phone and also hands free cell phone through the car speakers. At first test today, it sounded great, and didn't have any significant static/noise. Not bad for $21..

I'll try to upload a video soon...
    I have the same one, works great!

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

This is great, no more wire

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Now you have given me quite the conundrum. I was all set to upgrade my stereo system to a modern unit with Bluetooth and such, but now...

Question though: When a tape is inserted into the deck, does the door stay open to allow the mic cable to hang out, or does it close behind the tape?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

it stays open, the cassette will shoot out every time you shut the radio/ car off,
    the tape has to work properly and from experience I can asure you that it won't work
    very long with the old rubber belt still in use.

I'd like to hear it to get an idea of the sound quality.

please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Now you have given me quite the conundrum. I was all set to upgrade my stereo system to a modern unit with Bluetooth and such, but now...

Question though: When a tape is inserted into the deck, does the door stay open to allow the mic cable to hang out, or does it close behind the tape?
    Hi Brandon,

The microphone does not affect the door. Here are few pics to demonstrate...

The mic stores inside a little door in the cassette. Here it is deployed..
    image.jpg

Inserted partway into the cassette slot..
    image.jpg

Inserted fully..
    image.jpg

Easy pairing on your phone..
    image.jpg

Ready to rock and roll...
    image.jpg
    (In this case, Brand New Day by Bryan Adams)

So far so good!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Thanks for the pic

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Replaced my belt today thanks to the really helpful tips and photos in this thread.

Had a huge clean-up job as my original belt turned to an insanely sticky black goo on touch and had coated every spindle in the deck. It took 2 hours of meticulous cleaning with rags, qtips and rubbing alcohol to remove the mess. It's amazing to see how much rubber degrades over nearly 37 years.

Dana - good shout on the 5mm washer suggestion on post #5. Worked a treat because my little clip had broken too and it kept switching sides without it.

Hit one snag. Cassettes now play, fast forward, rewind, change sizes great BUT, the output volume from every cassette I've tried is really low - almost inaudible unless I crank the volume to max. There's no bass, just a trickle of mid-range output. I've tried cleaning the head with alcohol and am out of ideas. The radio is full volume perfect, but I can't seem to get any meaningful gain from cassettes.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Col Bennett; 01-11-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The head may be bad or out of alignment. Also, if you have very old tapes or they were stored where they got hot it can affect them badly. IMHO not worth wasting time over. Time to move into the 21st century.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The head may be bad or out of alignment. Also, if you have very old tapes or they were stored where they got hot it can affect them badly. IMHO not worth wasting time over. Time to move into the 21st century.
    David, some people enjoy the 20th century stuff, which is what this thread is about.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Bennett View Post
    Replaced my belt today thanks to the really helpful tips and photos in this thread.

Had a huge clean-up job as my original belt turned to an insanely sticky black goo on touch and had coated every spindle in the deck. It took 2 hours of meticulous cleaning with rags, qtips and rubbing alcohol to remove the mess. It's amazing to see how much rubber degrades over nearly 37 years.

Dana - good shout on the 5mm washer suggestion on post #5. Worked a treat because my little clip had broken too and it kept switching sides without it.

Hit one snag. Cassettes now play, fast forward, rewind, change sizes great BUT, the output volume from every cassette I've tried is really low - almost inaudible unless I crank the volume to max. There's no bass, just a trickle of mid-range output. I've tried cleaning the head with alcohol and am out of ideas. The radio is full volume perfect, but I can't seem to get any meaningful gain from cassettes.

Any ideas?
    Thanks Colin. As for the gain, maybe inspect the capacitors (the little can like things) on the board(s). They should have a flat bottom. If they are rounded they are blown. I've heard that they make the built-in amp inoperable.

Other than that, it may need to be sent to one of the people that repairs them on here, e.g. Elvis or Dave Graham (if he still has a guy that does it), among others.
    Dana

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast