FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: It was running perfectly all day, and then...

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

UPDATE:

After troubleshooting the issue to the fuel pump, I called James at DMCH and asked about replacing the internals of the unit. As it turns out, the replacement fuel pump was only about $100, so that should alleviate any fears that this new modern setup is not serviceable in a cost-effective manner.

Since there are no "instructions" for this procedure, i had to sort of wing it on the disassembly. I found what could have been the root cause of the problem all along:
    IMG_1153.jpg
    This, my friends, is the pickup filter on my pump. Could this have been what caused my pump to die an early death? I'm thinking so. Keep in mind, the PO installed this back in 2012 and either A: didn't do a good job of cleaning the tank out beforehand, or B: mixed his gas with dirt and rubber bits before filling up. I'm leaning towards A.

If anyone needs me, I'll be cleaning out my fuel tank before installing my new pump internals.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

It was running perfectly all day, and then...

So the internal pump is replaceable by the end user? What tools did you need to purchase?
    Last edited by Drive Stainless; 06-14-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    So the internal pump is replaceable by the end user? What tools did you need to purchase?
    None.

DMCH does loan you a set of special pliers that are presumably used to remove the Feed and Return lines from the top of the pump, but mine were easily removed by squeezing the clips by hand and pulling them off. Other than that, it's just a matter of cutting the old plastic internal hoses off, removing the electric connection at the pump, and careful disassembly of the lower part of the unit.

The new hoses provided are rigid, and must require some love from a heat gun to soften them enough to push onto their respective nips. I'm still waiting on some guidance on that front.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

UPDATE:

Last night I was able to drain and wipe out the tank, which wasn't too bad because all the rubber bits were in the pickup filter. Installation of the replacement fuel pump component wasn't bad, but connecting new plastic hoses was a chore. DMCH loaned me a set of pliers to assist in connecting these hoses, which helps, but they are very rigid and fight back. The solution was to add a little bearing grease on the ends which helped them slide on a bit easier, but it still took a lot of effort.
    IMG_1156.jpg

The lone problem child was the return line. I couldn't get that one to seat all the way down, but since that line isn't under pressure it should be ok.
    IMG_1158.jpg

The re-assembled pump, ready to go back in.
    IMG_1159.jpg

What is with this forum and sideways photos? Anyway, I installed the pump unit and added some gas. I jumpered the RPM relay (to pressurize the system and check the pump for activity), and it's humming right along. Swapped the RPM relay back in, started the car, and it sputtered to life.

Thank you all for your troubleshooting assistance, I greatly appreciate it. I do believe that I will continue to investigate some other parts of the ignition system such as my coil, as it is 35 original and probably worn out.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5