FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coolant in VOD

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by fnzen View Post
    from the pics it looks like you are running pure antifreeze you may want to "water down" the % too
    I'm running a 50/50 mix. I'm guessing the reason it looks so pure is because the water boils off an leaves the anti-freeze behind.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    We've been using only silicone hoses and non-slotted clamps at the rear of the pump since the mid-eighties because they don't pack down or need re-tightening over time like normal rubber hoses do. This is where a small investment in a quality hose and clamp combo will pay big dividends. Conventional hoses will usually pack down and leak after a few years. Personally I would always opt for silicone in this application but you can probably get away with re-tightening them every few years if you enjoy pulling the intake manifold to do so!
    Rob
    this is my issue currently. put on a fresh rubber hose supplied by DMCH from the pump to y-pipe last year. and now its starting to leak. ripping the intake off sometime this weekend or next week to take a look. hopefully the hose just needs adjustment/clamp tightening.

IF that hose needs replacement or if i decide to replace it, is it possible to replace that big pump to y-pipe hose (with a new silicone hose) without having to remove the y-pipe or pump? since i've got no other leaks (heater core, y-pipe o rings, etc) i'd rather not risk disturbing any other lines if i don't need to.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

You will need to remove at least one or the other, and possibly both depending on if it goes smoothly or not. Removing the Y-pipe can be a harrowing experience if you break off a bolt, so if it were me I would remove the WP and swap it out that way.

Another thing to keep in mind is this: a bolt can break off anywhere, but seems to happen most often when dealing with the cooling or exhaust system.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    4941

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the hoses around the water pump without removing the intake? It looks like a real PIA!
    Thanks
    Charlie

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

I don't think that's possible. Removing the intake isn't all that difficult, but it's something people hate doing because of the effort involved in putting everything back together correctly without vacuum leaks. That said, once you have taken it off once, you can do it the next time pretty quickly.

Besides, how else are you going to clean out the valley with the intake in the way?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I don't think that's possible. Removing the intake isn't all that difficult, but it's not something people enjoy doing because of the effort involved in putting everything back together correctly without vacuum leaks.

Besides, how else are you going to clean out the valley with the intake in the way?
    The previous owner of my second DeLorean took the car to a Volvo shop to have the water pump replaced, and he claims they did it without removing the intake. I suppose with the right tools, lighting, and hose clamp alignment it must have been possible.

To me, water pump replacement on a DeLorean is the best excuse to do deferred maintenance like replacing your spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor, coolant hoses, vacuum lines, vacuum components, intake O-rings, clutch hydraulics, check for block rot, etc.
    Louie Golden

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post

To me, water pump replacement on a DeLorean is the best excuse to do deferred maintenance like replacing your spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap & rotor, coolant hoses, vacuum lines, vacuum components, intake O-rings, clutch hydraulics, check for block rot, etc.
    +1

Give the VOD a good clean, scoop out the crud and rinse out those deep pits.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Might pick up one of these ShopVac micro accessory kits for the next time I'm in there. Be real easy to go in and suck out any crud in the nooks and crannies (being careful not to suck up anything else): https://www.amazon.com/Shop-Vac-Micr.../dp/B00002ND4G

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Just duct tape a short piece of small diameter hose to a wet/dry shop vac. Finish up with some paper towels. Might need to loosen the debris up with a small, thin screwdriver.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by cpistocco View Post
    Does anyone know if it is possible to change the hoses around the water pump without removing the intake? It looks like a real PIA!
    Thanks
    Charlie
    If you're talking about the two Upper Hoses on the sides of the Water Pump which connect to the flanges on the Cylinder Heads, yes, it *is* possible to replace those hoses without pulling the intake manifold. I've done it. I had to remove the inlet and outlet hoses from the Water Pump, the W-Pipe from the intake manifold, and disconnected the throttle assembly and linkage from the valves.

I will warn you though, THAT was the most difficult repair I've ever done on the car, because by not pulling the manifold and pump off I made it insanely more complex than it needed to be. You have to trim the hoses a bit, and then fold them into place, and stretch the openings out in order to get them to go around the connecting plumbing.

I actually spent more time fighting those damn hoses than I actually did pulling and reinstalling the manifold later when I decided to bite the bullet and replace the pump which did require removal of the manifold. At that time the new hoses just slipped right on as I lowered the pump into place and didn't give me any trouble at all. So take it from me: Pull the manifold and just replace everything.

Water Pump replacement has always been every DeLorean owner's Right of Passage. Not because it is difficult, but because it seems difficult and requires you to overcome allot of fear and build up the courage to do it. But once you do, there won't be much else on this car you won't be able to tackle.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast