FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Coolant in VOD

My VIN:    4055

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Water Pump replacement has always been every DeLorean owner's Right of Passage. Not because it is difficult, but because it seems difficult and requires you to overcome allot of fear and build up the courage to do it. But once you do, there won't be much else on this car you won't be able to tackle.
    so much this ^^^

i had to replace the pump just over a year into ownership (it was leaking when i got it, but i figured screw it, ill drive it till it gets bad).
    the entire time i was disassembling the intake and exposing the valley i was worried of getting in over my head. tho to be honest, reinstallation probably had me more worried because i was so worried about leaks (fuel or coolant) or that i'd screw something up and ruin the car.

this past May i had to go back into the valley to fix that coolant leak from the hose clamp and rather than be pensive/afraid of doing it again, it was just annoyance. not even any frustration.

it was also a lot quicker 2nd time around! 1st time took probably ~2-3hrs to disassemble, note where everything went, etc. reassembly probably took the same amount of time. 2nd time took about 90mins to rip everything out. I got 95% of it back together (minus bolting down the fuel lines) in 60 mins.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

As bad a job as it may be, it is made much worse if you break any bolts. Once you have done the job it is not as likely for any bolts to break anymore. Not every owner will do this job, many are "Mechanically Challenged" and prefer to pay others to have the fun. For all of the trouble you will have doing the pump without removing the intake manifold, it is just as much work (probably less) to take the intake manifold off. Consider it a once-every-20-year job. Gives you the opportunity to do a full tune-up too. BTW, just how do you get to the hoses on the back of the water pump without removing the intake manifold?
    Last edited by David T; 08-02-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    4941

Thanks Guys....You are great! With that said, I feel like my D is becoming a part time job....I swear that I have replaced everything that you can replace on the car ! So I am not sure that I need any more "rites of passage". I am starting to get that lazy feeling ! If I can avoid pulling the intake, then I will... ( I will get to the VOD sooner or later)

My VIN:    4941

By the way..... I just wanted to say that you guys are a "hearty" bunch. As Delorean owners you have to be witty, crafty, cooperative, patient, smart, handy, and forgiving.... I have owned many classic cars- Mostly GM's....and a 40 year old car might require an occasional oil change.....calipers, master cylinder, or radiator.....and that is it! It is a breeze next to a D ! I never had to pull an intake to tune up my 74 vette! There is a place for all of you in Heaven!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4