FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Door strut bracket recomendations - Grady or Heninger?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Door strut bracket recomendations - Grady or Heninger?

Today I replaced my door struts and noticed the brackets have a tiny bit of play in them. Lately I have been replacing parts as they break, but I think it would be wise to replace/upgrade this part before it breaks.

As far as I know there are two options. Heninger's retrofit kit (in attached picture) and what Grady is selling. I am not familiar with what Grady has and can't find it on his website.

Obviously, if I do have cracked fiberglass where the stock brackets mount I can still use Heninger's kit without any problems. His product seems like a great idea, but $160 does seem a bit expensive.

I also talked to Hervey and he doesn't sell anything like this. Does anyone have any information about the options? I seem to remember reading something like this on the old forum. Will Grady's still work with cracked fiberglass and is it cheaper?

Heninger's bracket:
    http://deloreannewparts.com/store/page14.html
    Attached Images

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Forgot about this thread, but I did end up using the Heninger brackets as well. I bought and started to install the ones from DPI but due to some bizarre imperfections in my tub, I could not correct the leaning studs even with the new brackets. Byrne was a lovely gent to work with and very helpful, and the brackets are really excellent.

A word to the wise though. Don't remove the ball studs from them. He torques them so they help the angle iron maintain rigidity. I removed one of mine just out of curiosity and ended up having a lot of flex in the bracket as a result. Byrne fixed it for me though...
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I just discovered my driver side mount is crooked and the fiberglass is cracked. Is everyone still pleased with Henninger's repair? I would much rather go this route than have to remove a quarter panel and re-fiberglass.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I just discovered my driver side mount is crooked and the fiberglass is cracked. Is everyone still pleased with Henninger's repair? I would much rather go this route than have to remove a quarter panel and re-fiberglass.
    Sorry to hear it. Seems like another one of those repairs every owner will probably end up doing eventually.

Heninger's solution is still holding up magnificently for me.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Sorry to hear it. Seems like another one of those repairs every owner will probably end up doing eventually.

Heninger's solution is still holding up magnificently for me.
    Perfect. Just ordered the set of 2, even though my passenger side seems ok for now. I might replace it out of preventative maintenance.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    2256

I ended up going with Grady's bracket. I wanted something that wouldn't be obvious as a repair. I didn't like riveting the bracket on so I made my own bracket to replace the one inside the body tub. It may be a little over kill but at least I know these brackets aren't going anywhere and hopefully the larger surface area will distribute the weight on the fiberglass tub a little more evenly.

000_0904.jpg

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

From what I know, The Heninger's can be installed without removing the Qtr panel but Grady's does require the removal of the Qtr panel to install. I believe Grady's costs less.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There are several options - Grady's reinforcement is good if the fiberglass is not too damaged, or you can make basic fiberglass repairs. The t-panel should be removed. The quarter panel doesn't necessarily have to be removed, but it does have to be lifted up quite a bit.

I have not seen Heninger's in person but it appears that it just goes on from above, but it appears that the geometry may be a bit different. Be careful installing it as you could easily drill holes in the headliner and/or create new leaks.

The third ways is to fabricate a much larger version of the Grady part in the event that the fiberglass is extensively damaged. We (and Toby) have done this for cars in the shop but it's never been assembled and sold as a part.

The fourth way is to dig out the fiberglass and do a complete, proper fiberglass repair and use the OEM parts.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    16409

Steve,

I've installed the strut brackets from Heninger and they have been working fine for me. Much easier to install than the one's from Grady. However, if you are the type that wants a stock look (doubt it since you're running a carb) the Grady would be the way to go. I didn't want to be bothered by having to remove the rear quarter panels. Just my two cents.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    Steve,

I've installed the strut brackets from Heninger and they have been working fine for me. Much easier to install than the one's from Grady. However, if you are the type that wants a stock look (doubt it since you're running a carb) the Grady would be the way to go. I didn't want to be bothered by having to remove the rear quarter panels. Just my two cents.
    I'm more worried about functionality then staying stock. Does it line up perfectly or is it slightly out of alignment?

Have you experienced any leaks on your headliner since installing Heninger's kit?

I do like saving money, but if Heninger's product is easier to install and lasts longer it might be the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by tgraham View Post
    I've installed a set of Rob Grady's brackets before - they work perfectly. You'll need a 1/4"-capable (big) riveter to install them (assuming you're using the rivets, as intended... I've heard of some using two M6 rivnuts in lieu of the rivets, but I thought the rivets would be a lot stronger).

Also, I couldn't see any way to install these without removing the fiberglass infill panels that sit right in the way, as well. I suppose you could "modify" those (drill holes in them) for a workaround, but I didn't want to do that.

Travis
    Does Grady include installation instructions with his product? I wouldn't mind seeing a copy of his installation document before making my decision.

I just sent an email to Heninger requesting his install document. With his permission, I will publish it in the resources section so everyone can see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast