FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Door strut bracket recomendations - Grady or Heninger?

Banned

It appears someone decided to paint his fake side vents too. Addictive, isn't it....

Bill Robertson

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Painting is very addictive. I want to put a bunch of coats on the trim, sand it, and paint again over the course of a few days.

Hopefully I won't be going on a date tonight. If I do I either have to take off the masking tape to drive the Delorean tonight or drive the other car.

Can you guess which car I use for going on dates?
    Attached Images

Banned

If she's eco-friendly, you're getting laid tonight.

Bill Robertson

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by content22207 View Post
    If she's eco-friendly, you're getting laid tonight.

Bill Robertson
    Eventually I am going to sand and paint the Metro. I've got sanding paper and Rustoleum to do the work but I'm just lazy. I was thinking of maybe getting a 50 mpg decal printed up to put on the rear glass too.

Someday I will fix it up. What I really need is a motorcycle. Those things are cheap, get 50 mpg, and look way cooler than a Geo Metro.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Late, but as promised. I put a coat of Rustoleum on them today. When I finish being lazy I am going to glue the weather seals back on.

Yeah! These look great! The laziness factor seems to be worth the price. I think I'm gonnago with a set of these!

Banned

Yep. They are nice and worth every penny. Henninger might be a little expensive but he makes some really good stuff.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

For what it's worth, since this thread was started Josh at DPI started selling his improved stainless brackets for this. I have a set ordered and they should be here soon. I will post my impressions, pics and install tips after we start working on them! I seriously considered Heninger's for the 'lazy factor' alone - a half hour to install - but ultimately went with Josh's to keep the stock appearance. Now I'm doomed to rear quarter removal.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    For what it's worth, since this thread was started Josh at DPI started selling his improved stainless brackets for this. I have a set ordered and they should be here soon. I will post my impressions, pics and install tips after we start working on them! I seriously considered Heninger's for the 'lazy factor' alone - a half hour to install - but ultimately went with Josh's to keep the stock appearance. Now I'm doomed to rear quarter removal.
    I'm not knocking Josh's product but I honestly don't think stainless is necessary for this application. My 30 year old brackets didn't have a bit of rust on them. The problem was fiberglass that was getting ready to crack.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I'm not knocking Josh's product but I honestly don't think stainless is necessary for this application. My 30 year old brackets didn't have a bit of rust on them. The problem was fiberglass that was getting ready to crack.
    Oh yeah, I don't disagree with you one bit. It's just that Josh makes *everything* in stainless

The 'upgrade' part of his brackets are in the design, akin to the Grady ones in that they're larger with more surface area and should strengthen the original configuration.

I definitely like the Heninger configuration - it is simple and elegant, easy to install, repair/replace if necessary, and gets the job done. I waffled over it for a very, very long time.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Like Steve said. It's the "lazy factor" I'll "detract" (which I don't think it does) so long as I don't have to remove a blasted quarter panel. To my knowledge Henninger's are the only ones that install this easily. I'm sure the others are more than adequate, but I mean come on, the time saved and the simplicity is worth it IMO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast