FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Door strut bracket recomendations - Grady or Heninger?

Just posted on the "What have you done..." thread. So I'll keep this short. Add another recommendation for Henninger's door strut brackets.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I haven't installed them yet, but I did receive DPI's brackets in the mail. Comparing them to photos of the OEM ones these are far beefier, extend much further, and look like a million bucks. Too bad no one will ever see them once installed. Also too bad that it's many hours worth of work to do them compared to the Heninger solution. The door brackets are the two with the huge welded nuts on them.
    Attached Images
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    Just posted on the "What have you done..." thread. So I'll keep this short. Add another recommendation for Henninger's door strut brackets.
    Amen. Notice that it didn't take him weeks to install the product.

My VIN:    01495

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

After reading this thread and various other theads, I've decided to buy Heningers product. My driver side door ball stud has been "crooked" since I bought it in 2005. It was always on the back burner as far as projects go, but here are is what I found:
    DSC05432.jpgDSC05433.jpgDSC05443.jpg

You will notice some pretty bad fiberglass damage, as well as a bent bracket. I decided to go with Heninger because of the severity of the damage. Even if repaired, I don't know if I would trust it.

Here it is complete, but proir to a top coat of paint and RTV:

DSC05444.jpg

I actually went ahead and replaced both sides. The passenger side wasn't as bad, but still slighly crooked. There was evidence of a previous fiberglass repair anyway, and now my car appears the same on both sides for cosmetic reasons. I would recomend this option unless you want to keep 100% stock look.

I did the same. Mine have been in place for over 3 years. I would however upgrade the metal to highly polished stainless steel.
    Just to show them off. What a masterpiece of engineering.

Just another thought in time!
    ED

Forgot about this thread, but I did end up using the Heninger brackets as well. I bought and started to install the ones from DPI but due to some bizarre imperfections in my tub, I could not correct the leaning studs even with the new brackets. Byrne was a lovely gent to work with and very helpful, and the brackets are really excellent.

A word to the wise though. Don't remove the ball studs from them. He torques them so they help the angle iron maintain rigidity. I removed one of mine just out of curiosity and ended up having a lot of flex in the bracket as a result. Byrne fixed it for me though...
    Jon

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

I just discovered my driver side mount is crooked and the fiberglass is cracked. Is everyone still pleased with Henninger's repair? I would much rather go this route than have to remove a quarter panel and re-fiberglass.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I just discovered my driver side mount is crooked and the fiberglass is cracked. Is everyone still pleased with Henninger's repair? I would much rather go this route than have to remove a quarter panel and re-fiberglass.
    Sorry to hear it. Seems like another one of those repairs every owner will probably end up doing eventually.

Heninger's solution is still holding up magnificently for me.
    Jon

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Sorry to hear it. Seems like another one of those repairs every owner will probably end up doing eventually.

Heninger's solution is still holding up magnificently for me.
    Perfect. Just ordered the set of 2, even though my passenger side seems ok for now. I might replace it out of preventative maintenance.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    2256

I ended up going with Grady's bracket. I wanted something that wouldn't be obvious as a repair. I didn't like riveting the bracket on so I made my own bracket to replace the one inside the body tub. It may be a little over kill but at least I know these brackets aren't going anywhere and hopefully the larger surface area will distribute the weight on the fiberglass tub a little more evenly.

000_0904.jpg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast