FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: dmc pricing

My VIN:    5823

Club(s):   (DCH)

I bought a car last year in November for 22000$ . Running car with rust free frame.
    Put in another 1500$ to replace some parts and have a great car now.
    Before that there where 2 cars that also had my interest, but being from europe not everybody wants to deal with you.
    If you live in the usa you dont have this problem.
    But I think that towards the end of the summer / fall is always a beter time to buy. Then you have all winter to get the car ready

My VIN:    6472

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Do we have a lot of reliable data on this though? I agree that what it sold for is more important, but those figures don't seem to be nearly as straight forward to find as the for sale prices are.
    Unfortunately not, because nobody reveals what they actually paid for their cars, we only see the price it "sold" at. But I can't even count how many times I've seen a car "sold" on ebay for $30-35k, and then a few days later the same car gets re-listed, because the car didn't actually sell. It seems this is what people are looking at to determine the values: "Oh this car looks just like mine, and it sold for $35k, therefore mine and all others in this condition are worth 35k". I think this is misleading.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Not baiting or trolling, but respectfully: if/when the next time you see a great DMC for $25K, I'll be interested to see it. Matt F's car is what I'd consider "great," and I'm guessing the selling price will be north of $35K.
    Here's the thing though: a great $25k car isn't going to be listed at that price, it will be listed at $27k, 28k, or maybe 29k. But car buying is almost always negotiable, nobody pays asking price when they go out and buy a car, that's why the seller puts up a little extra, so there's haggle room. This is why I'm saying asking price doesn't tell you much. For example, if anybody was following the ad for the car that I bought, they would think I paid $3500 more for it than I actually did. That was the difference between the guy's asking price and what I actually paid for my car. On paper, it looks like the car "sold" at asking price.

I went and checked out a lot of DeLoreans (I think 9) before I bought mine. One of the ones I saw was listed for sale at $31500 (I still have the ad somewhere). I test drove the car and before I left, the guy said he would be willing to come down to $27000 for it as his final price. Now to anybody following this ad, it would seem once the ad was removed that the car sold for $31500, when I know it didn't sell for more than $27k (I didn't end up buying this car, but did follow up with him about it).

Another car I checked out was listed as $21 or 22k. He said he would let it go for 17. Once again, asking price means nothing.
    Last edited by Gregadeth; 06-09-2016 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_NYS View Post
    Matt's car sold for 52k(?!)

Holy wow...I wasn't expecting it to go that high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundkillr View Post
    It did, but I need to edit my initial evaluation of the car. The folded lower door, appears to be an optical illusion, so that may not be damaged. At 52k someone better be able to eat off the bottom of that car....but I'll bet they cant....
    Quote Originally Posted by skill View Post
    Aye my dios...

Mary, mary... best get a delorean before Houston rolls out the 2nd generation dmc-100k
    Technically, the car isn't sold until currency has exchanged hands. I've seen many DeLoreans "sell" for a high price, and then a couple days later they get re-listed again because the car didn't actually sell. Not saying that's what's happening here, it's just too early to tell.

Go and check out the DeLoreans currently for sale on Ebay, and then look at "Completed Listings". Most of these cars have been reposted because they didn't sell the first time around (and in some cases, the second or third time).
    Last edited by Gregadeth; 06-09-2016 at 02:36 PM.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Gregadeth View Post
    Technically, the car isn't sold until currency has exchanged hands. I've seen many DeLoreans "sell" for a high price, and then a couple days later they get re-listed again because the car didn't actually sell. Not saying that's what's happening here, it's just too early to tell.

Go and check out the DeLoreans currently for sale on Ebay, and then look at "Completed Listings". Most of these cars have been reposted because they didn't sell the first time around (and in some cases, the second or third time).
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. People buying a car on eBay are like shoppers at a flea market. They are ALWAYS looking for a deal, or trying some low ball tactic based on a sight unseen risk.You will bid lower, and won't be willing to spend as much on a car you can't see in person. Case in point, when I was shopping for a viper, I had an eBay budget of 32k that I was willing to risk on a car sight unseen. However a car I could see in person, I was willing to coin out considerably more. This discussion came up in another forum and the general consensus was ebay actually drives the prices down. I'm seeing deloreans sell at a much higher price and much faster than even 2 years ago. A deal can always be had, and no one person can follow market trends to an exact figure, but prices (for now) are on the rise.

I will say I have personally followed up on a few of these really nice deloreans with a BIN price. One of the reasons they have been re listed is because the car isn't as nice in person as they say it was. I have walked away from several ebay deals due to mis representation and in some cases down right lies on the sellers part....
    Soundkillr was here.

My VIN:    500 ft pounds torque.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I'm also the one who has to keep our ads current on this site. Now we are a very limited market, but I've seen the average prices climb, and some of these cars sell FAST. I doubt much wiggle room was given on these cars, because as a seller, I'm not going to negotiate on my price when I have so much interest in the first week. I saw a members car here sell in something like 4 days if I recall correctly.
    Soundkillr was here.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Your VIN'S mom

Good deals don't last

The last dood deal I saw on a Delorean lasted about 36 hours from the time posted to the "sold" announcement.

The DeLorean market doesn't wait for tire kickers and people who still need to get the bank's or wife's approval nor does it wait for those who don't have the stones to just pull the trigger when a good deal falls on their lap.
    If you see a good buy, move on it or lose it.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    03037

I agree Michael. There is no room for tire kickers now. Either you have the cash now and get one. Cash is king. If Houston has their vendors inline I see a new breed of buyers financing through banks to get a 2nd generation. Our values will go up as holders in due course. Get yours now Mary. http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/delorean-re...=yahoo&ref=yfp
    ¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬°¬
    2014 La Jolla Concours D'Elegance Volunteer
    1998 Online Gamer; Everquest, AOE, R6, WOW, SOF
    1981 DeLorean, Grey, Automatic, Flap, 12k preserved miles
    1960 Volkswagen Beetle
    1961 Cadillac Coupe DeVille - *Restoration in Progress*

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The last dood deal I saw on a Delorean lasted about 36 hours from the time posted to the "sold" announcement.

The DeLorean market doesn't wait for tire kickers and people who still need to get the bank's or wife's approval nor does it wait for those who don't have the stones to just pull the trigger when a good deal falls on their lap.
    If you see a good buy, move on it or lose it.
    I absolutely agree. My car was posted on a monday night and I called immediately. Tuesday morning I was there, checked out the car and left a deposit. The ad was up for less than 24 hours. But I did miss out on a few potentially good cars prior to this one simply because I didn't move fast enough. But it worked out great anyway I ended up with my current car.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Man, I miss the good old days. My car was up on the DMCNews website for weeks before I went to look at it before purchase. I didn't even put a down payment on it beforehand. But then again that was back in the stone age known as 2007.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast