FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Driving down the road and engine shuts off

My VIN:    15880

Thanks! Hopefully a little spring cleaning will do the trick. Will keep everyone updated.

The actual physical ground connection to the frame is buried underneath the dash somewhere. Legend has it you can just about see it if you lie on your back in the drivers footwell and shine a torch up there.

I didn't bother trying to get at it, I just ran a new wire from the inertia switch to a convenient frame bolt up front, easy to get at for r&r. I think this mod had the biggest effect on pump voltage if I remember right.

GroundJunctionCentralPlenum.jpg

Bill Robertson

So I check out all the grounds I could find and they actually look really good.

However, I finally took the voltage across the RPM relay while jumped and it was only 10.9. I could not get a reading across fuse #7 though. I have the ground of my multimeter on the negative side of the battery, but I don't get a reading when I touch the positive side of the multi meter to the top of the fuse. I also purchased all new fuses.

Also, how do you test the voltage across the inertia switch? I see a black wire, a black with purple stripe, and two brown w/ white strips. Thanks guys

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmycxc View Post
    So I check out all the grounds I could find and they actually look really good.

However, I finally took the voltage across the RPM relay while jumped and it was only 10.9. I could not get a reading across fuse #7 though. I have the ground of my multimeter on the negative side of the battery, but I don't get a reading when I touch the positive side of the multi meter to the top of the fuse. I also purchased all new fuses.

Also, how do you test the voltage across the inertia switch? I see a black wire, a black with purple stripe, and two brown w/ white strips. Thanks guys
    You should have got voltage on fuse #7 all the time. Pull the fuse and see if the fuse sockets have melted the fuse block. Also check your battery voltage with the RPM jumpered.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

With the RPM jumped,

Battery: 12.14
    Fuse #7: 11.59
    RPM Relay: 10.96

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmycxc View Post
    With the RPM jumped,

Battery: 12.14
    Fuse #7: 11.59
    RPM Relay: 10.96
    Since your getting excessive voltage drops measured in two places, my guess is your fuel pump is bad drawing to much power. Normal fuel pump power is about 7 amps with engine running.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Since your getting excessive voltage drops measured in two places, my guess is your fuel pump is bad drawing to much power. Normal fuel pump power is about 7 amps with engine running.
    Any suggestions on a good one to replace it with? I've seen the "Fuel Pump 909" search on ebay one for $50 and it looks fairly easy to replace. Or is it worth it to do the the DMCH one?

Is 12.14 Normal for the battery?

Yes, assuming engine isn't running.

I wouldn't buy anything just yet.

Check your ground side of the fuel pump circuit. Put the neg lead of voltmeter on batt neg terminal, and use the positive lead to probe the negative terminal of the fuel pump. Ideally the voltage there should be zero but in reality it will show some. How much it shows depends on the integrity of the the circuit connections between the pump negative terminal and the battery. Do this with rpm relay jumpered and pump running.

Enjoy! Not too hard...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast