FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Removing the axle

My VIN:    03572

My order came in from PJ Grady the day I left for vacation. I was going to wait a day or two since the 8 hours of driving yesterday takes it out of me. But I decided to start installing the parts. I used the stock looking seal from Grady which was easy to press in since I could do it on my press with the adjusting ring removed. I could install the adjusting ring the full amount it was set at just with my fingers. I ended up setting it three notches tighter then it was set at. I think there still is a little side to side play but it's nothing like it was. I bolted the new axle in place and decided to take a break for the day.

I just have to torque the axle bolts (30 ft/lbs) and fill the transmission with a gallon of new oil.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I torqued all 12 axle bolts and still see quite a bit of side play on that transmission side flange. Maybe I have a bad bearing but I will run a few trips and see if things change.

Then I saw I forgot to put those metal plates that go under each of the two bolts on the axle. So I had to pull all the bolts again to install those. I'm thinking those metal plates do help with the lock washers since the bolts seemed to come out with less than 30 ft/lbs of torque.
    Dave M vin 03572

Only have driven 10 miles but no sounds from the drivers rear side. But one thing not expected is I've backed up 5 times and have not had to double clutch to get it in reverse. Can't think what would have helped that. Maybe the new gear oil.
    Dave M vin 03572

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Only have driven 10 miles but no sounds from the drivers rear side. But one thing not expected is I've backed up 5 times and have not had to double clutch to get it in reverse. Can't think what would have helped that. Maybe the new gear oil.
    Glad that you got it sorted.

On the double clutch fix, I would guess the new gear oil as well. When I had my C5 Corvette, at 40,000? miles or so, the gears started to get hard to engage. I looked in the manual, and sure enough, it was time to change the gear oil. Afterwards, it shifted as smooth as butter.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Or you didn't have the right stuff in there or not enough. At least now it is OK and you didn't do any damage.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Or you didn't have the right stuff in there or not enough. At least now it is OK and you didn't do any damage.
    Here is what I used this time.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6