FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: 3.0L R134 compressor recommendations?

My VIN:    767 (3.0L EFI/EDIS)

3.0L R134 compressor recommendations?

I'm about to do an A/C overhaul to R134 for a 3.0L engine (as outlined in another thread), but I still need to find a compressor. To be clear, I currently have no compressor at all (well, I have the old DeLorean one, but that won't mount on the 3.0L engine).

I got the impression that SD7H15HD is the correct model for R134, but I'm having trouble finding information on the specific variant I'd need to bolt up to the 3.0L engine.

For example, in principle this Four Seasons compressor from Summit Racing seems fine, but without knowing the spacing of the mounting holes to the pulley size, it's not entirely clear if it will actually work. Same with this one.

Thanks!

-- Joe

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Use the stock AC compressor that came with the eagle engine, it is a SD709

The SD7H15 is the 134a equivalent of a SD709. for all intensive purposes they are the same damn thing. You can run 134a through it.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My problem is that the engine I bought only included the engine, with no accessories at all. I figured that as long as I have to buy a compressor anyway, I might as well get one built for R134.

I did see that the SD709 and the SD7H15HD are just R12/R134 variants of each other, although some specs seem a bit different. I can get a rebuilt SD709 that is known to be compatible with the 3.0L valve covers for about $100 shipped on eBay.

Presumably if I get an SD709, I'd have to drain it and refill it with R134-compatible oil. This seems to be well documented for people who do R134 conversions with the stock compressor on the 2.8L engine, so I don't imagine that this will be an issue.

I also found a reference to an extra set of letters that indicate the specific mountings, which would make it easier to find an SD7H15 for the 3.0L configuration. For example, this thread mentions that the SD7H15 version of the original DeLorean 2.8L compressor is the SD7H15QC4708. Of course, everyone sells parts for specific cars, so no one lists this extra information on their sites, just which cars it is factory compatible with. Given the crazy number of compressor variants in that PDF (first link), though, maybe I should just get the SD709 and be done with it.

Thanks

-- Joe

My VIN:    03572

There are different back plates also. The stock DeLorean AC hoses need a special back plate. If your going to make your own hoses than that would not matter.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

3.0L R134 compressor recommendations?

Four seasons A/C compressor for the 3.0L eagle premier

P/N 58555. Sanden SD709-7484. It is 134a ready.

The detail spec are listed in the page link

http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/FS/#/vehicles/Id/218789

Select Compressor-new

Collapse the pop up window then touch the compressor image to load the detail specs page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DMC5180; 02-03-2018 at 09:22 PM.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

FYI, depending on your hoses you may need spacers and slightly longer mount bolts. I re-used the John Hervey hoses when I swapped the 2.8L for the 3.0L and ended up with a situation where the hose crimp was touching the oil filler neck. In my case, spacers solved the problem:

ACCompressor1.jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I purchased a new compressor for the 1992 Eagle Premier and fit the DeLorean hoses to it. The DeLorean hose-ends needed a very small amount of sanding/filing to fit the Eagle Premier compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Four seasons A/C compressor for the 3.0L eagle premier

P/N 58555. Sanden SD709-7484. It is 134a ready.

The detail spec are listed in the page link

http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/FS/#/vehicles/Id/218789
    That's awesome -- it didn't occur to me that the manufacturer sites might have lookups for different car models. Looks like the best price for that is $293 from Summit Auto, or about 3x the price of a rebuilt original Eagle compressor. I'll probably get the new one anyway, just to remove one more variable from the A/C system.

Thanks!

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    FYI, depending on your hoses you may need spacers and slightly longer mount bolts. I re-used the John Hervey hoses when I swapped the 2.8L for the 3.0L and ended up with a situation where the hose crimp was touching the oil filler neck. In my case, spacers solved the problem:

ACCompressor1.jpg
    Thanks -- I'm getting barrier hoses made to the original specs. I'll pick up some spacers too if it becomes a problem.

-- Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    I purchased a new compressor for the 1992 Eagle Premier and fit the DeLorean hoses to it. The DeLorean hose-ends needed a very small amount of sanding/filing to fit the Eagle Premier compressor.
    That's interesting, and something I hadn't come across before. I'll be sure to test fit everything when they arrive. It would be much easier to do any sanding/filing with everything still out of the car.

Thanks!

-- Joe