FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Strange issues

Unhappy Strange issues

Hello All,

I am stumped! I have a car Im bringing back to life and I cant get it to run right. It is not accelerating like it should. I got the car barely running a couple of weeks ago and have been threw a lot with it! I cleaned out the fuel tank and installed a new DMC fuel pump, Installed a new accumulator, Installed new vacuum lines, Disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the fuel air metering box, removed and powder coated the intake manifold, valve covers and timing gear cover and the engine accessories, replaced spark plug (kept the cap, rotors and wires as they look new), new fuel distributor, new injectors, overhauled warm up regulator, new electrical upgrade kit, new fuel lines, new o2 SENSOR, replaced faulty micro switch, installed new starter and alternator, checked continuity of the bipass wire between starter and ballast resistor, checked vacuum advance for operation. Im getting ready to replace the vacuum solenoid today as well as check to see if I got the vacuum hoses on the thermal control valve. All grounds are good and tested. checked for vacuum leaks, all fuses are good. tried 3 RPM relays. Tried new ECU. Checked continuity for all lambda wires. Diode is good, tested fuel injectors
    I have not checked the full throttle switch. Starting cold is a little slow as it cranks for a second before slowing coming to life as it should spike up to 1400 RPM which is doesn't, Idle is good good however at 800 RPM but it just boggs down when throttling up. It almost acts like its going to rich or the frequency valve is not getting enough fuel moved back. I am getting a minor occasional backfire pop out of the metering box. WHAT AM I MISSING???

Senior Member Christian Dietrich's Avatar

My VIN:    11035

If you did all that, did you set adjust at all the 3mm enrichment screw in the M/C unit? Replacing a major fuel component on these engines like the WUR, FD etc the car needs to be tuned while adjusting the screw. Also is your timing correct, sounds like it is.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
    Vin 11035 wide stripe, flat hood, 5 speed, Spec 1 exhaust, custom grey/black interior, custom lighting, custom stereo and custom alot of stuff!

yes, adjusted the mixture a few times as the micro-switch failed throwing the mixture all out of wack

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by guss23 View Post
    Hello All,

I am stumped! I have a car Im bringing back to life and I cant get it to run right. It is not accelerating like it should. I got the car barely running a couple of weeks ago and have been threw a lot with it! I cleaned out the fuel tank and installed a new DMC fuel pump, Installed a new accumulator, Installed new vacuum lines, Disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt the fuel air metering box, removed and powder coated the intake manifold, valve covers and timing gear cover and the engine accessories, replaced spark plug (kept the cap, rotors and wires as they look new), new fuel distributor, new injectors, overhauled warm up regulator, new electrical upgrade kit, new fuel lines, new o2 SENSOR, replaced faulty micro switch, installed new starter and alternator, checked continuity of the bipass wire between starter and ballast resistor, checked vacuum advance for operation. Im getting ready to replace the vacuum solenoid today as well as check to see if I got the vacuum hoses on the thermal control valve. All grounds are good and tested. checked for vacuum leaks, all fuses are good. tried 3 RPM relays. Tried new ECU. Checked continuity for all lambda wires. Diode is good, tested fuel injectors
    I have not checked the full throttle switch. Starting cold is a little slow as it cranks for a second before slowing coming to life as it should spike up to 1400 RPM which is doesn't, Idle is good good however at 800 RPM but it just boggs down when throttling up. It almost acts like its going to rich or the frequency valve is not getting enough fuel moved back. I am getting a minor occasional backfire pop out of the metering box. WHAT AM I MISSING???
    Hi there,

It looks like you have replaced or checked a lot!

They say checking the CO /dwell is one of the last things you should do, but where you replaced the fuel distributor, have you checked / adjusted that?

How does it act once warmed up.... does the accelerating improve?

Oops.. Christian asked that first. Sorry.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-22-2016 at 07:55 AM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

It looks like you have replaced or checked a lot!

They say checking the CO /dwell is one of the last things you should do, but where you replaced the fuel distributor, have you checked / adjusted that?

How does it act once warmed up.... does the accelerating improve?

Oops.. Christian asked that first. Sorry.
    Hot, cold acts the same. It is a little slower to start hot

My VIN:    03572

Sounds like you need to do a fuel pressure check. Also how did you adjust the mixture?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Also, check your Warm Up Regulator (also called Control Pressure Regulator). My car doesn't accelerate worth a damn when its cold, and I'm quite certain the CPR is involved. I just haven't had the $$ to put a new one on.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R