FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Terrible windshield haze lately

My VIN:    11596

Terrible windshield haze lately

Recently I had to use my DeLorean has my daily driver while my other car was getting some hail damage repaired. Of course it comes at the hottest time of the year so it was sitting outside at my office for 9 hours in the 90 degree sun. Every day I come out, there would be a noticeable haze on the inside of the windshield. Each morning I would clean it with Sprayway and blue window towels, only to have it reappear later in the day. This continued for four days until I got my other car back and haven't driven the D since (just been busy).

Keep in mind I don't drive the car that often but in my 16 years of ownership I've never seen this happen ! I haven't cleaned the interior lately, but when I do it is some typical leather care cleaner for the seats and Meguires Natural Shine Protectant for the dash and other surfaces.

Definitely not heater core, I was running the A/C non-stop and I know what antifreeze smells like.

Ideas? This morning I'm going to clean the interior with some warm soapy water, perhaps there is some oil from other cleaners that has built up over the years that is coming out.

FWIW I replaced the windshield with a new one from DMCMW about 3 years ago.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Most likely whatever you use to treat the dash is transferring to the windscreen. The sun bakes a lot of stuff out of the dash and it usually goes straight up on the glass.

I never park me in the sun without a sunshade
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Most likely whatever you use to treat the dash is transferring to the windscreen. The sun bakes a lot of stuff out of the dash and it usually goes straight up on the glass.

I never park me in the sun without a sunshade
    Probably right. Well I just cleaned the whole interior with warm water and Mr. Clean general purpose liquid cleaner. I have the doors up to let it air out for the day and I'll probably try a different interior cleaner. Any good recommendations?

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hopefully it isn't a leaky heater core. When they spring a leak, they will leave a haze on the windshield. Double check there is no coolant loss or coolant draining out your HVAC drain. It's a long shot, but a nice one to rule out. Michael is probably right.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Generally a leaky heater core will produce a smell of coolant. As far as what cleaner it doesn't matter, it will all leave some residue. Even the original Irish chemicals used to make the dash are still coming out.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Generally a leaky heater core will produce a smell of coolant. As far as what cleaner it doesn't matter, it will all leave some residue. Even the original Irish chemicals used to make the dash are still coming out.
    It is not a good thing to leave the car in that heat, especially without a sunshade. Just about anything you use can produce the stuff that will make the windows haze up and the heat and ultraviolet light ages the fabrics and plastics used in the interior. The emblem on my automatic's shifter curled up like a potato chip from the heat. A sunshade inside under the windscreen helps a lot if you must leave the car out in the sun.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    2543

I've had mine 8 years and I get that haze parking in the sun too. I always use a sunshade (folding foil type) and the haze it concentrated on the edges of the glass where there are bigger gaps in the sunshade. They wipe off easily. I figured some left over dash cleaner my prev owner used or little bit of moisture escaping. It's rare I park in the blazing sun like that, like not at all so far this summer. Heat index is 102 today, woof.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

I have the same problem. My heater core has not be connected for 3 years. i blew out all the old coolant.

I still have the window fog, and it comes back every few days after cleaning it.

The best way i have found to manage it is with a 50% water, 50% vinegar mixture and a micro fiber towel.

Windex smears it.

My VIN:    3937

If you're concerned about chemicals coming off or out of the dash in the heat from the sun, you might consider using a dashmat. That might do the trick for you for those times you must leave the car baking in the sun.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

I noticed the same thing when I first bought my car. It sat outside for a month at the dealer before I bought it. The film was almost like an oily haze. With some elbow grease, I cleaned it up, and it never returned. I asked Dave S about it one time and he said that the cars sometimes off-gas from the interior materials in the extreme temperatures.

That made sense to me as I didn't have any heater core / AC leaks, and it was never outside again for long periods afterwards.

This year I had my windows tinted with ceramic tint, including the windshield. The tint dramatically reduced the solar heating in the cabin. I recommend it to anyone concerned about the cabin heating up in the sun.
    Last edited by DMC-81; 06-27-2016 at 09:01 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast