FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Delorean Sequencer

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSpace Cowboy View Post
    Chris,
    I not only checked the current draw at idle, but did a incandescent vs LED current comparison with both tail lights and control boards connected. Attached are the results. But to answer the first question, at idle the two control boards draw 12.8mA together. The relay and switch could probably be eliminated as long as the car was not in storage. Attachment 44170
    Hmm, that's a really high standby current and almost doubles what a stock D already uses. So I would not recommend most owners connect it directly to a constant 12v source unless they use a battery cutoff switch all the time. Also, drawing nearly 16 amps is a lot of power to be pulling if we wire it directly to the blinker relay circuit. It does use either of two 20 amp fuses, but that power is going through the hazard switch and if it's anything like the original headlight switch, could have melting issues with that kind of current load! So wiring it to the blinker relay should only be done when using LEDs.

So that leaves us with users that insist on incandescent bulbs and not having a battery cutoff switch. Then a reply to acc, constant 12v and the blinker relay seems to be the only solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris4099 View Post
    Hmm, that's a really high standby current and almost doubles what a stock D already uses. So I would not recommend most owners connect it directly to a constant 12v source unless they use a battery cutoff switch all the time. Also, drawing nearly 16 amps is a lot of power to be pulling if we wire it directly to the blinker relay circuit. It does use either of two 20 amp fuses, but that power is going through the hazard switch and if it's anything like the original headlight switch, could have melting issues with that kind of current load! So wiring it to the blinker relay should only be done when using LEDs.

So that leaves us with users that insist on incandescent bulbs and not having a battery cutoff switch. Then a reply to acc, constant 12v and the blinker relay seems to be the only solution.
    The 12V supply has to come directly from the battery and not any other circuit and would be fused at 20A. The relay coil only draws 120 to 130mA and could be hooked into an auxiliary circuit without much effect. I know the switch is a pain but necessary with this circuit. I'm still in the testing stage at any rate.
    Thanks for the feedback! I need all the help I can get!

A user on Steve's forum is supposed to be working on LED tail light housings (not LED bulbs in OEM housings -- entirely new housings with flat panel LED arrays). Why not liaison with him to provide sequencer circuitry for his housings. That would solve not only the power issue, but also the center diffuser issue.

Bill Robertson

Delorean Tail light Sequencer

As soon as I get a tail light assembly I will be making some new video's showing the sequencer in daylight with both incandescent and LED bulb's and a nighttime version with both types of bulbs. This circuit will work with either bulb.

Updated Video

Here's the first video of the sequencer using incandescent bubs during daytime.

https://youtu.be/1kNHaCYPsvQ
    Last edited by DeepSpace Cowboy; 08-24-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Delorean Sequencer using LED bulbs during daytime

Changed to LED bulbs and filmed. Center reflector was removed. Modified center with some of my taillight from my 94 Chevy pickup. https://youtu.be/SIF_qrw2JkI

Quote Originally Posted by DeepSpace Cowboy View Post
    Center reflector was removed. Modified center with some of my taillight from my 94 Chevy pickup.
    I wonder if suitable material (red, waffle pattern, diffusion) is available somewhere so ready cut pieces could be provided for owners to drop in their own taillight housings? Like you I made my own diffusers (Post #25). Work fine but definitely not plug & play. If drop in diffusers could be provided along with the sequenced boards I bet demand for this project would be through the roof. Not everyone wants to make their own diffusers.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I wonder if suitable material (red, waffle pattern, diffusion) is available somewhere so ready cut pieces could be provided for owners to drop in their own taillight housings? Like you I made my own diffusers (Post #25). Work fine but definitely not plug & play. If drop in diffusers could be provided along with the sequenced boards I bet demand for this project would be through the roof. Not everyone wants to make their own diffusers.

Bill Robertson
    Bill,
    I've looked all over and have yet to find a suitable replacement that matches the existing pattern. Also, I used one of my old headlights, (same 94 Chevy pickup),Attachment 45697Attachment 45698Attachment 45699 to make the reflector that matches pretty well with the other taillight reflectors. Here are a few pics.

Did you try the stock diffuser? I didn't like the way it looked with the adjacent lenses, but others might feel differently.

Parabolic reflector can be emulated with a piece of curvable plastic lined with a reflective material (I used chrome tape from the parts house). Not 100% identical to the other lenses, but close enough. Making a bunch of those for plug & play kits shouldn't be difficult.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Did you try the stock diffuser? I didn't like the way it looked with the adjacent lenses, but others might feel differently.

Parabolic reflector can be emulated with a piece of curvable plastic lined with a reflective material (I used chrome tape from the parts house). Not 100% identical to the other lenses, but close enough. Making a bunch of those for plug & play kits shouldn't be difficult.

Bill Robertson
    The tail light that I bought from Delorean Parts North West did not include the factory reflector/diffuser. I would have taken it out anyway since it would not have matched the lights on either side.
    My first idea for a reflector was to buy a piece of aluminum from Hobby Lobby in their Models section. Next, I cut a piece out of an aluminum pontoon that I had and was going to use it since it was already formed. But when I was changing lights on my old truck I could see that this would work even better. Of course it's not something for mass production.
    DSAttachment 45925Attachment 45924

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast