FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Wiring Disaster and bad pin 31 ECU ground

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Can somebody confirm the wire pair in the photo is the OE wiring pair that would've hooked up to the lamp in the 3-spd shifter?
    yes it is!
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Can somebody confirm the wire pair in the photo is the OE wiring pair that would've hooked up to the lamp in the 3-spd shifter?

From the wiring diagram there's a Light Green/White wire and a ground wire to that lamp, something your 5-spd D doesn't need or have. If the ID is confirmed this is factory wiring, not PO mayhem.

For any new owner dealing with PO hacks order a poster-size color wiring diagram to save yourself headaches and eyestrain. Also useful for troubleshooting at connections.
    Quote Originally Posted by BABIS View Post
    yes it is!
    Thanks guys, just after I posted this I was staring at the schematic and I found the light you're referring to... I'm still in disbelief that this was acceptable wiring practice in the 80s. Thanks for the help.

LightGreen-White_and_Black.gif

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Thanks guys, just after I posted this I was staring at the schematic and I found the light you're referring to... I'm still in disbelief that this was acceptable wiring practice in the 80s. Thanks for the help.

LightGreen-White_and_Black.gif
    Here's a photo of the light bulb from an automatic: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10...l=1#post165448

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    Thanks guys, just after I posted this I was staring at the schematic and I found the light you're referring to... I'm still in disbelief that this was acceptable wiring practice in the 80s.
    Doing it that way simplified production. The factory didn't need to keep track of and buy more than one harness style at a time. Cars are still made this way...sometimes there are seat-motor-control or seat-heat connectors under front seats that are manual-adjust or aren't heated.

The transmission selector lamp wire isn't the only unused circuit in your car. I can think of at least 2 others.

The bottom line: When you find more color-coded wiring it's probably factory, not a PO hack.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3