FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust Gaskets partialy blocking ports?

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I guess I should patented that concept when I made mine 22 years ago

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Check again. The exhaust manifold does in fact bolt directly to the head and not the block.
    I stand corrected.
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

This may seem rather obvious, but you can cut the drill bit shorter.

This is very do-able. If we had to take the head off every time we deal with a broken stud, we'd be in a lot of trouble!
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Exhaust Gaskets partialy blocking ports?

This is what I used 22 years ago. I bought the 90 drill just for the job.

1/8 drill bit initial pilot hole ( not shown )

5/32 LH (optional) drill for extractor

# 2 extractor

# 3 extractor (backup)

And my homemade drill jig posted previously

Dennis
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    This may seem rather obvious, but you can cut the drill bit shorter.
    Dave, there you go again ... making things easier. I almost cut it shorter but it is shorter now

I blocked the car up a bit more and that has increased access. Increased access makes it an easier access which should help. Working at arms length just wasn't cutting it. A lift sure would be nice! Maybe I should put one on my gifster.com list.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    This is what I used 22 years ago. I bought the 90 drill just for the job. ...
    Same basic thing I tried. Found a brand new 90 air drill on CL for $15 a few miles down the the road and it seems to work great (it may not last in a shop but for me it will last a lifetime). When I broke the 1/8 LH bit I tried a 1/8 RH bit. Since it did not seem to make a dent, I backed off for a while to investigate more. Besides, I need to fix the guide ( I found the .62" steel plate while bicycling one day a while back. You never know when you'll need such a piece. And that explains all the junk in my garage!). I think it is pretty soft steel.
    Nick

Mine is mild steel (soft) , if I needed this for continued use. I would install hardened drill bushings in the pilot locations.

Dennis
    DENNIS

I was thinking of bushings as well. Thread them in and then change them as the bit size increases. Three, maybe four different bushing sizes. Then instead of that heavy chunk of steel (mine has some heft to it):
    - Machine out the excess steel to reduce weight
    or
    - Use aluminum plate. Weld additional plate where the bushings would go.

I think if we tried, we could make it to service the top or bottom studs depending on how it is installed

A Include a 7mm stud remover/installer and we could make a traveling kit. The user supplies their own bits.
    Nick

Exhaust Gaskets partialy blocking ports?

3/8 or 1/2 aluminum bar stock would be perfect with drill bushing.

No need for extra thickness, since the plate needs to be reversible for opposite orientation stud pattern.

Dennis
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-30-2016 at 04:41 PM.
    DENNIS

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    3/8 or 1/2 aluminum bar stock would be perfect with drill bushing.

No need for extra thickness, since the plate needs to be reversible for opposite orientation stud pattern.

Dennis
    I suggested removing the head as an alternative to removing the whole motor! I have been able to remove broken studs without removing the head (or motor) but if you mess things up beyond the limits of your abilities you can drag the head to a machine shop where they can finish the job. A drill guide is an excellent idea but if access if a problem that may only add to it and it prevents you from observing what you are doing. Because of the angles and difficulty it will help you stay centered on the broken stud. Especially if you do not have a lot of experience doing this kind of work. Patience is the key here. Work slowly and stop frequently to check and recheck that you are centered on the stud. The stud is steel and it is in soft aluminum, once you get off the stud you will quickly ruin the head.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast