FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front bumper pics needed!

My VIN:    4870

Front bumper pics needed!

I took my front bumper into the paint shop after I straightened the eyebrows 25 days ago. The bumper comes in today and the ENTIRE fascia is painted gray. Now while the paint work and color looks great, it has to go back. So now I really need to jog their memory with the paint scheme and color/finish of black for the "bumper" and the lower portion (are they the same finish?). So any pics of a original paint scheme bumper, preferably removed. Looking for good shots of the sides and the bottom half... What finish of black are the bumpers? Matte, satin? Thanks for any help. Just really scared of getting this thing back after waiting more than a month and being bummed.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Good news is they can paint the black right over top of the grey. That's how they did mine. SEM Trim Black is what many people use, it comes in matte or high gloss, depending on what you desire. I went with the matte as it's close to the factory look.

Pics attached. Along the front, the lower black runs up the the radius where it transitions from vertical to the "under slope" of the bumper. Along the side, I tried to show the measurement that comes close to the line on the lower fascia where it meets the stainless. Even if this is off a bit, it still looks decent. Each car is different - you'd have to put it on your car & mark it if you want it to exactly line up.
    20160701_080740.jpg
    20160701_080724.jpg
    20160701_080547.jpg
    20160701_080555.jpg

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

My VIN:    6125

I would be irate and the body shop would be stripping the entire bumper back to raw black urethane and starting over. That's just me though and I'm probably more particular than most.

Painting black over the silver is one option but it will never look the same as the original unpainted black finish of the raw urethane. Over time bugs and rocks will chip off the black paint revealing silver below and it won't look right. The plain black urethane is more more durable than a painted finish and can be wet sanded and buffed back to the original finish if it gets scuffed or scratched.

For the body shop to make this right they should strip all the paint, wet sand and restore the finish of the black areas, and then mask/paint the silver.

Photo ref for fascia paint lines. Sorry some of these are a litle blurry. This is a completely stock fascia that has never been refinished so these are the factory correct paint breaks.

Last edited by Mark D; 07-01-2016 at 09:50 AM.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

+1 on this remark and advice.

On top of the non-factory look you'll get with the black paint the front fascia will no longer match the rear assuming the rear is still original.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I would be irate and the body shop would be stripping the entire bumper back to raw black urethane and starting over. That's just me though and I'm probably more particular than most.

Painting black over the silver is one option but it will never look the same as the original unpainted black finish of the raw urethane. Over time bugs and rocks will chip off the black paint revealing silver below and it won't look right. The plain black urethane is more more durable than a painted finish and can be wet sanded and buffed back to the original finish if it gets scuffed or scratched.

For the body shop to make this right they should strip all the paint, wet sand and restore the finish of the black areas, and then mask/paint the silver.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Thank you guys for getting back so fast, the pictures are great. I really can't be too mad. I just gave them the bumper and told them to redo it, I didn't give them super particular info. They were squeezing it in for me and helping me out. The problem is I am very particular so I hope all this new info will help them. I'll put up pics as soon as it comes back.
    Vin# 4870 - Rebuilt PRV motor - custom seats - fuzzy dash and stock everything else

-Chris

My VIN:    2543

Funny you say this, same thing almost happened to me last week! Both fascias are at the paint shop for a week then they call me: "Could you send us pics of how you would like it painted, like the black parts?" I told them to repaint them the same as I brought them in. I'm guessing they had sanded them down. He said he was debating with the shooter how it should be. Anyway, I sent him some of the pics below. Side note it took a week for them to do it, then when I went to pick them up the end part of the rear black section was rough texture, like primer feeling so I told them to fix that. I'm now a week from that day. 2 weeks total, ugh.

sorry they are sideways. I'm not proficient enough on this new MAC to fix it. This is when I was loading them to take them in:
    IMG_9401.jpg IMG_9403.jpg
    Last edited by BigBenb84; 07-02-2016 at 10:16 AM.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

What do you guys think a repaint of the front bumper would cost? Roughly. I'm having my front bumper done by a shop I'm kinda in with and I just realized they never gave me a cost. I should have it back Monday and now I'm a little scared. What's a round about for stripping and painting with the right paints and all the bells and whistles, they also said they are going to try to straighten the whole thing out. They did get the bumper off the car so hopefully that might save some labor. ... nervous.

-Chris

My VIN:    2543

$200 per bumper is what I was charged. Added $50 for satin finish. No repairs or straightening done.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenb84 View Post
    $200 per bumper is what I was charged. Added $50 for satin finish. No repairs or straightening done.
    That's insanely cheap.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    That's insanely cheap.
    ^^^ This! ^^^

Depending on the shop & the paint brands they use, the $500-$1000 range is what could be expected for BOTH bumpers, strip, sand, & paint.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast