FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Early door straps orientation?

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    With regard to closing the doors generally, I find that if you're going pull the door closed from near the strut (late pull strap) [1] vs. the center of the doors (early handle) [2]...

[1] Actually, the later pull strap is centered between both hinges.

[2] The handle is situated parallel to the front hinge.

This is why twisting sometimes occurs.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-08-2016 at 12:35 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post

[1] Actually, the later pull strap is centered between both hinges.

[2] The handle is situated parallel to the front hinge.

This is why twisting sometimes occurs.
    Thanks for sharing the graphic. When I said the pull strap was near the strut, I should have said it was nearER the strut versus the handle, which is further from the strut. I've owned my D for 13 years and have yet to twist any doors by closing them. What I would say is more common is bowing of the upper portion of the door as discussed here:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...or-Roof-Bowing

Getting back to my point of being consistent, do you find that the doors latch differently depending on where you push or pull from?

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Thanks for sharing the graphic. When I said the pull strap was near the strut, I should have said it was nearER the strut versus the handle, which is further from the strut. I've owned my D for 13 years and have yet to twist any doors by closing them. What I would say is more common is bowing of the upper portion of the door as discussed here:

http://www.dmctoday.com/showthread.p...or-Roof-Bowing

Getting back to my point of being consistent, do you find that the doors latch differently depending on where you push or pull from?
    They do latch differently depending on the condition of the door. For me, it was merely easier to install the later pull straps and not worry about closing the doors at all. This was my ONLY option since my car has a flimsy passenger door (I replaced the driver door last year).
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-08-2016 at 02:02 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

They do latch differently depending on the condition of the door. For me, it was merely easier to install the later pull straps and not worry about closing the doors at all. This was my ONLY option since my car has a flimsy passenger door (I replaced the driver door last year).
    Tell me more about the flimsy door...

My VIN:    3937

Getting back to what Dana originally asked about, I try to loop mine through so that when I close the doors, the flap of material doesn't get closed IN the door.

The pull straps seem to develop a tendency to curve one way or the other, so I'll loop them through so they tend to curve "up" and then when you close the door it is less likely they get caught in the door (like they sometimes do when curving/drooping down). Sort of like how seatbelts used to get closed into the door at times back in the day.

And after almost 20 posts in the thread, I'm surprised no on has said it... so I'll go ahead... I think it's one of those preferences similar to 'which way is the right way to hang a roll of toilet paper?!' lol Clearly the correct way to hang a roll of toilet paper is having the paper roll down from the top and not from under. Sheesh!!

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

Early door straps orientation?

My Oct vin 5987 was one of the last documented to have had the earlier pull straps. (Last being 5992) Yet on removing the door card was apparent the later style was about to be put into production, due to pre marked holes on inside of panel....

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks all for the replies and the related discussion. I found a picture of my car before disassembly, and the rings were toward the outside of the door, like so..

image.jpg

Not saying that that's how they came in 1981, but to Jonathan's point about positioning them so they don't interfere with the opening, on my car, this is also the orientation that allows that, and they hang down out of the way inside the car when the door is closed....

image.jpg

So, if there is no specification, then this way suits me.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Thanks all for the replies and the related discussion. I found a picture of my car before disassembly, and the rings were toward the outside of the door, like so..

image.jpg

Not saying that that's how they came in 1981, but to Jonathan's point about positioning them so they don't interfere with the opening, on my car, this is also the orientation that allows that, and they hang down out of the way inside the car when the door is closed....

image.jpg

So, if there is no specification, then this way suits me.
    Glad you it sorted out!

Also, sorry for the HUGE derailment of your thread...

My VIN:    <2000

Glad you it sorted out!

Also, sorry for the HUGE derailment of your thread...
    Thanks! No worries. I think it's all related and valuable information.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    1150

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    And after almost 20 posts in the thread, I'm surprised no on has said it... so I'll go ahead... I think it's one of those preferences similar to 'which way is the right way to hang a roll of toilet paper?!' lol Clearly the correct way to hang a roll of toilet paper is having the paper roll down from the top and not from under. Sheesh!!
    Unless, of course, you have a playful cat in your house! Then the "other" way is the "correct" way to hang the roll, I assure you from personal experience ;-) Oh, and be sure to click on this GIF image for a "practical demonstration" of the dilemma, LOL :-)

catandtp20061106.gif

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2