FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Early door straps orientation?

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Early door straps orientation?

Hi there,

I finally got the interior door trim reinstalled after a few months, and I can't remember the correct orientation of the early door straps. Should the metal ring face you or the other way?

image.jpg

Thanks!
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

I finally got the interior door trim reinstalled after a few months, and I can't remember the correct orientation of the early door straps. Should the metal ring face you or the other way?

image.jpg

Thanks!
    BUT, you should probably upgrade to later straps if you are not looking for exact originality. The early straps have a tendency to destroy the grab handles. They also do not close the doors from their center of gravity, which results in screwed up strikers or worse, tweaked doors.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    BUT, you should probably upgrade to later straps if you are not looking for exact originality. The early straps have a tendency to destroy the grab handles. They also do not close the doors from their center of gravity, which results in screwed up strikers or worse, tweaked doors.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I read that somewhere on here before. My car has the soft covering on the grab handles as well, so I can see why over time it damages them. Although, the original owner must have been careful, as there isn't a mark on them.

As a result, I just use the strap/handle to get the door lowered, and whether inside or outside, I push it shut by placing my hand on the door somewhere between the hinges.

I'm one of those sticklers looking for (almost) exact originality.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

I would like to see some photos of this if anyone has some. I've heard people talk about this but never actually seen it. My car has early pull straps and has since 81 and the handles are still in good condition. Certainly not saying it's not possible, but I don't think it's as serious of a matter as it is made out to be. Also, based on the mention of screwed up strikers and tweaked doors, are you saying that (assuming you're tall enough) you should not close the door using the door handle that is on the inside of the door, since it is in the load path of the early pull strap?

As for the direction of the straps, is there actually a "correct" way? I mean, these were an afterthought right? I've seen people argue this point before, and I'm curious where the basis for the answer comes from. Did a bulletin get sent out from DMCL saying "Short people cant reach the door handles, therefore put these makeshift straps on. They MUST be installed in 'this' orientation."
    Last edited by Nicholas R; 07-08-2016 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    I would like to see some photos of this if anyone has some. I've heard people talk about this but never actually seen it. My car has early pull straps and has since 81 and the handles are still in good condition. Certainly not saying it's not possible, but I don't think it's as serious of a matter as it is made out to be.
    I have seen some cases of destroyed handles, but it really depends on how the car was cared for throughout the years. For example, my car had some time in Arizona and California sun from the POs, however, the handles were just starting to show signs of deterioration. After a talk at DMCH, I decided to add integrated pull straps, and as a result, my doors close more evenly from the interior.

Also, based on the mention of screwed up strikers and tweaked doors, are you saying that (assuming you're tall enough) you should not close the door using the door handle that is on the inside of the door, since it is in the load path of the early pull strap?
    For very early cars like my own, the doors can be tweaked from that handle since it is placed to the front of the door. Really, there is a reason the factory "improved" the design by adding built-in straps to later models.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-08-2016 at 11:16 AM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

For very early cars like my own, the doors can be tweaked from that handle since it is placed to the front of the door. Really, there is a reason the factory "improved" the design by adding built-in straps to later models.
    Yes but based on that logic, shouldn't they have eliminated the interior door handles all together then? You have to assume that the interior door handle is still meant to be used as a load point for closing the door from the inside. Otherwise why leave the door handle if you can't use it? Personally I believe the strap change was likely to make the strap a more integrated part of the car, as having afterthought straps on the handles doesn't look nearly as cohesive.

This being said, it is my understanding that the late doors have a bit more structural integrity than early doors.

This being said, it is my understanding that the late doors have a bit more structural integrity than early doors.
    This is the likely reason for keeping the grab handles, but also considered is the time and cost needed (which they didn't have) for major production changes

Door Straps & Closing

I'd be glad to retrofit my doors with the later-style pull strap as soon as a black "door handle delete" becomes available. Else, there is no way I'm going to furnish two apparatus on my doors with which to pull the door closed; my vanity won't allow for it.

With regard to closing the doors generally, I find that if you're going pull the door closed from near the strut (late pull strap) [1] vs. the center of the doors (early handle) [2], you should close the doors from the exterior in the same place. A small striker pin/latch adjustment is usually needed for smooth closing depending on whether you close using method [1] or [2]. Make up your mind and be consistent.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The best reference source material for the orientation of the pull strap is watching BTTF. Clearly visible in many scenes. I would go by this exclusively in terms of "how things should look".
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

This is the likely reason for keeping the grab handles, but also considered is the time and cost needed (which they didn't have) for major production changes
    Integrated pull straps were a factory designed (versus Lotus) mod. They are nothing more than stand alone pull straps with the D ring cut off, attached to the door with armrest support screws, then trimmed with seat back release lever bezels. Quite creative IMHO, using inventory already on hand.

#2508 will be getting a pair when (if) I put it back together:

2508DoorPanel1.jpg 2508DoorPanel2.jpg

I am firmly convinced #5939 came with integrated straps from the factory. Latest date scribbled on the car is December 1981 (car appears to have been stored "by the fence" then brought back inside later to be completed, quite possible due to passenger door internals which still don't fit right).

Bill Robertson

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast