Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: The Dummy's Guide to Robertson Carbing

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2016

    Posts:    943

    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
    I want to replace my water pump and associated pipes because of my mysterious coolant in the valley. I can't afford that right now, so I'm a little stuck.
    Water pump from Autozone is $60: http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...mp/535584_0_0/
    You would need a Volvo style bolt on pulley. Volvo PRV pulley bolts right up, but you need to jetison the upper A/C idler pulley (Volvo pulley has two belt grooves, outermost of which interferes with the upper idler). That is the setup I run. Sam Hill is running a 4 cylinder Volvo pulley with washers to space it out slightly. Aluminum single belt pulleys come and go as owners have them made -- a year or two ago a UK based owner still had some available. Volvo pump also has an extra port on the front that needs to be plugged -- 1/4 NPT pipe plug works perfectly:

    WaterPumpFrontPlug.jpg

    If any of the allen bolts that hold the pump back on snap I've got replacements.

    Hervey is probably the cheapest source of hoses. I've xRef'd the outbound radiator hose (Gates 21215), but Hervey's is the same price as Amazon. Hervey does a complete set of hoses for less than $100.

    Coolant distribution pipe is sealed with ordinary hardware store O rings. If it isn't leaking you may want to leave those until later (hold down bolts have a terrible reputation for snapping off). You can change the water pump with the Y pipe still bolted in place.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  2. #12
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2015

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    2784

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Water pump from Autozone is $60: http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...mp/535584_0_0/
    You would need a Volvo style bolt on pulley. Volvo PRV pulley bolts right up, but you need to jetison the upper A/C idler pulley (Volvo pulley has two belt grooves, outermost of which interferes with the upper idler). That is the setup I run. Sam Hill is running a 4 cylinder Volvo pulley with washers to space it out slightly. Aluminum single belt pulleys come and go as owners have them made -- a year or two ago a UK based owner still had some available. Volvo pump also has an extra port on the front that needs to be plugged -- 1/4 NPT pipe plug works perfectly:

    WaterPumpFrontPlug.jpg

    If any of the allen bolts that hold the pump back on snap I've got replacements.

    Hervey is probably the cheapest source of hoses. I've xRef'd the outbound radiator hose (Gates 21215), but Hervey's is the same price as Amazon. Hervey does a complete set of hoses for less than $100.

    Coolant distribution pipe is sealed with ordinary hardware store O rings. If it isn't leaking you may want to leave those until later (hold down bolts have a terrible reputation for snapping off). You can change the water pump with the Y pipe still bolted in place.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Your post inspired me to do some shopping around and I think I can do this for 1/3rd or maybe even 1/4th of what it would cost to use DMCH parts. Which puts it a little more into my price range. I'll start ordering parts!

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2016

    Posts:    943

    I've been running an Autozone pump for years. As stated, you do need a bolt on pulley. On the plus side: bolt on pulleys won't ever work loose.

    No matter what pump you get, you will either need to transfer over the disused TTS or plug the hole. It's M18x1 -- a common oil pan drain size. I'm running a BMW oil pan plug:

    WaterPumpTTSPlug.jpg

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  4. #14
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2015

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    2784

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    So its taking awhile for my water pump to get here for whatever reason, but I anticipate I will be starting up this project again soon.

    In the meantime, I'm sure someone else has noticed this ... but I was watching Back to the Future 3 and got a laugh when I saw the part that comes flying out of the engine. It's the fuel distributor! The closed caption was pretty funny, too. It's about how I feel about it

    kjet.jpg

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2016

    Posts:    943

    Have you gotten the broken manifold hold down bolt out yet?

    I just removed a broken coolant distribution pipe (Y pipe) bolt on my Volvo using the welded nut approach: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...en-Bolts-Studs

    All the other bolts were removed either by hitting the wrench with a hammer or with a small size impact gun (unfortunately you cant fit an impact wrench on a K-Jet manifold). I'm pretty sure this is the first time the intake manifold's been removed since 1983.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  6. #16
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2015

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    2784

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Have you gotten the broken manifold hold down bolt out yet?

    I just removed a broken coolant distribution pipe (Y pipe) bolt on my Volvo using the welded nut approach: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...en-Bolts-Studs

    All the other bolts were removed either by hitting the wrench with a hammer or with a small size impact gun (unfortunately you cant fit an impact wrench on a K-Jet manifold). I'm pretty sure this is the first time the intake manifold's been removed since 1983.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Oh hey, that's a really cool trick to weld a nut on there -- I'll have to keep that in mind (I've got a MIG welder). I haven't pulled the bolt out yet, but I'm going to give it a try when the water pump comes in. My Delorean's currently parked in a workshop that's a 20 minute drive from the house, so I don't go out there unless I've got work to do on it :P As soon as it's running, it's coming home! Anyway, the anti-seize has arrived and hopefully next time I won't have this problem.

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2016

    Posts:    943

    No joke -- as soon as you weld the nut on the broken bolt will turn out with a simple flat wrench (particularly helpful if your weld bead slops over one side slightly, preventing a socket from sliding on...).

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  8. #18
    Senior Member davidc89's Avatar
    Join Date:  Feb 2015

    Location:  Minnesota

    Posts:    280

    My VIN:    2347

    Sometimes it helps to weld the broken bolt/stud to a washer and then welding the nut onto the washer. But yeah it usually comes right out once you weld it! If the weld breaks, try again!
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date:  Feb 2016

    Posts:    943

    Quote Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
    So its taking awhile for my water pump to get here for whatever reason
    Where did you buy your water pump? I bought one for my Volvo at Autozone Tuesday afternoon and just picked it up.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date:  May 2015

    Posts:    79

    My VIN:    2784

    Club(s):   (DMA)

    Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    Where did you buy your water pump? I bought one for my Volvo at Autozone Tuesday afternoon and just picked it up.

    Bill Robertson
    #5939
    Mine arrived today. I actually bought Special-T's kit so it would come with all the pipes I'd need and everything altogether. I found the price reasonable vs. picking it all up myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •