FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: How To: Locate TDC Cylinder #1 on a 2.7 or 2.8 Liter PRV

How To: Locate TDC Cylinder #1 on a 2.7 or 2.8 Liter PRV

Odd fire PRV's have a nifty way to locate TDC #1 (unfortunately not available on 3.0's). It is fast and 100% accurate:

TDC1.jpg TDC2.jpg TDC3.jpg

This is how to do it on an engine with the water pump in place (heater core return line cocks a normal length drill bit over just slightly so it won't slide through the indexing hole in the engine):

Use a 3 inch long 5/16 bolt:

3InchBolt.jpg

Bolt before and after dropping into the index hole (index hole is only about 1/4" deep -- bolt doesn't drop far at all):

3InchBoltOnCounterweight.jpg 3InchBoltInIndexHole.jpg

Using this method the engine will be 100% TDC Cylinder 1 for whatever purposes you may have thereafter.

Bill Robertson

I made a GIF to better show what a bolt looks like dropping into the index hole (it doesn't drop far at all):

IndexingEngineWithBolt.jpg

Bill Robertson

Hahah, joke is on me for staring at a fixed jpg that says "MakeAGIF.com"... :P

When it drops, does that mean we're at TDC? If you keep turning the crank it will raise back up?

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post

When it drops, does that mean we're at TDC? If you keep turning the crank it will raise back up?
    No. It will lock the crank.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by spikeygg View Post
    I promise you: it was a GIF when I uploaded it. vBulletin changed the first frame into a JPG. I guess vBulletin can't handle GIF's.

It was only a two frame animation -- just load both pictures into a JPG viewer and toggle between them.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    No. It will lock the crank.
    I wonder if you could lock the crankshaft this way to break the pulley nut free? Or would you just end up cracking the block?

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I wonder if you could lock the crankshaft this way to break the pulley nut free? Or would you just end up cracking the block?

Bill Robertson
    I had to do it that way, since I had removed the flywheel prior to the pulley. It worked, but I wouldn't try it again.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    I promise you: it was a GIF when I uploaded it. vBulletin changed the first frame into a JPG. I guess vBulletin can't handle GIF's.

It was only a two frame animation -- just load both pictures into a JPG viewer and toggle between them.

Bill Robertson
    I made a youtube video of the same thing but I'm not positive what I'm doing yet...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfQWUvmthFo

When the bolt drops into the #6 counterweight hole Cylinder #1 is 100% TDC. Position your timing scale so zero on the scale lines up with #1 cylinder timing notch.

Pretty nifty PRV feature I've never seen on any other engine.

Bill Robertson