FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Evaporator tube repair kit

My VIN:    10270

Evaporator tube repair kit

Long story short: Expansion valve gets stuck, I buggered the inside wall of the tube extracting the guts of it. Tube is solid but there is no way the O rings will seal.

Has anyone had luck using a repair kit, like one of these? I saw a reference in the DMCNews archives to DMCH repairing evaporators with something like this.

I realize it will probably stick out a bit compared to stock but I'm using DPIs AC line kit, so I feel like I have a little leeway over the stock config.

As much as I'd love to drop my HVAC box and R&R the evaporator, time is running short to make DCS
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I've never installed one. We've seen one or two on cars and you are right - it adds quite a bit of length to the tube in a place where you don't really want it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

So what you're telling me is I should ream the pipe with a drill bit, install the new valve with JB Weld, and plan to R&R the evaporator at a future date?
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    03572

You really don't need a perfect seal so I would just smooth the inside of the tubing carefully.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

If the seal was really bad, the worst case would be evaporator freeze-up, right?

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    If the seal was really bad, the worst case would be evaporator freeze-up, right?
    That would be my guess also since you would be passing a little more liquid refrigerant than normal.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Maybe what I'll do is install the 4 Seasons repair kit but move the high pressure switch to the condenser. Since I'm using DPIs line kit, I believe I can simply relocate the HP switch adapter and extend the HP switch wires.

That should minimize the added length from the evaporator tube.

Update: New system is in, AC is cold, no repair kit necessary.

I lightly filed the damaged area of the tube to knock down the high spots then honed it with a brass bottle brush. Flushed it out and hammered home the new valve with an install tool. Looks like I escaped R&R'ing the evaporator. I used a VOV instead of the fixed orifice and the VOV o-rings are a bit farther down the evaporator tube which may help.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

^Got pics?
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

I have a few bad ones Anything you want to see in particular?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast