FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Relays. Which to replace?

Just went over all of this with my mechanic. Thanks for all your knowledge and opinions. For now, were going to hold off on mounting relays at the fans themselves and focus on the melted jumpers in the box. He thinks when the original relay update kit was done the connectors were damaged so he's going to crimp them together to reduce any possible resistance there. He says the fans look brand new and doesn't suspect there will be any problems with them. Thoughts?

Also, I know the fans seem to be a problem item on our cars but is it because of this issue with the fan fail jumpers? Or is it the fans themselves?

Looking for the fix that will make the fans bulletproof so I don't have to worry about possible overheating. I see all sorts of aftermarket parts discussed like Fanzilla, DMCNW Wings-B-Cool upgraded fans, etc. Thank again.
    Last edited by Pags44; 07-12-2016 at 10:51 PM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Pags44 View Post

My mechanic thinks the distance in the wire is too much resistance and that's why they keep melting.

Your mechanic doesn't understand ohms law. More resistance in the wiring will not heat up the connections. It will, in fact, lower the current.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Pags44 View Post
    Looking for the fix that will make the fans bulletproof so I don't have to worry about possible overheating. I see all sorts of aftermarket parts discussed like Fanzilla, DMCNW Wings-B-Cool upgraded fans, etc. Thank again.
    None of the fan controllers will solve a high current fan problem. We don't have failure data on any of the new low power fan motors but quite a bit of failures on the OEM fan motors with high current and actually failing.

As Dave S pointed out, lower voltage due to resistance of long wire runs reduces the current in the fan circuit. So bad connections do not increase current but reduce it. The bad connection however will produce heat right at the bad connection.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2