FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Starting problem after replacing fuel lines

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by yianni View Post
    Problem solved, got my car running again. Spent two hours today pulling out new lines and replaced with the old existing ones. I don't know why, but it likes the old ones. After a couple of cranks it fired up and it seems to be running fine. I want to thank all of you for your input, hope to see all at the show this weekend.

My VIN:    03572

Problem solved, got my car running again. Spent two hours today pulling out new lines and replaced with the old existing ones. I don't know why, but it likes the old ones. After a couple of cranks it fired up and it seems to be running fine. I want to thank all of you for your input, hope to see all at the show this weekend.
    After the show, just replace one line at a time and start the car after each replacement.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10091

Club(s):   (DCH)

I don't know if I'm wiling to go through that again sense my old lines are working properly. I will talk with Josh and see if I can return them or get credit for something else in the future that I might need. If that doesn't happen I will make someone a good deal for $40 less than what I have in them, we just have to wait and see. As you know, the main thing is to keep these old cars running.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

This isn't as crazy as it sounds. I've seen stainless lines crimped incorrectly so that they hose is blocked. It happens.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    Early

You really should not run the originals... Too many recent fires....

On another note, did you check mixture with the new lines? Fuel flow is most likely different with DPI's lines compared to the originals.

EDIT: Dave has a point. Use a compressor or your lungs to verify that there are no blockages in each line.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 07-19-2016 at 11:56 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Fuel flow is most likely different with DPI's lines compared to the originals.
    Why?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Why?
    I had the same issues with my lines until the mixture was correctly set. I guess I was just one of the unlucky ones...
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    10091

Club(s):   (DCH)

No, I didn't check the mixture with the new lines. I didn't even think about it, what I found, that most of you know, was the end fittings on the lines are on the same plane and not offset which put a twist in every line and maybe like Dave pointed out probably restricted flow. Are all new stainless set up fixed ends or do some setups swivel to make fitting more proper?

My VIN:    5482

No, I didn't check the mixture with the new lines. I didn't even think about it, what I found, that most of you know, was the end fittings on the lines are on the same plane and not offset which put a twist in every line and maybe like Dave pointed out probably restricted flow. Are all new stainless set up fixed ends or do some setups swivel to make fitting more proper?
    My DPI lines swivel; however they are very tight so you have to mean-ass them a bit to get the ends to turn. At first I didn't know they would swivel until I asked Josh. Doing this made the installation much easier and cleaner looking.

I would agree with some of what's already been said. Check each of the new lines and insure they flow air through them at the same volume you have on your old ones. Did you replace the line between the filter and the fuel distributor? I would give that one and the primary line to the WUR a real close look. Get some extra copper crush washers to use on the final install when you're all finished.

I wouldn't think you would need to do any mixture adjustments. I did on mine but I also replaced the fuel dist, WUR, a few injectors, etc. Replacing just the lines should not require this.

I would NOT go back to the old fuel lines. I'm one of those who had an engine fire due to a pinhole in an old line. Thankfully I caught it before any significant damage was done.
    Jeff

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Hi John, Emailed you a response on this.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast