FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Where do these parts go?

My VIN:    2543

Where do these parts go?

When I was removing my front fascia these came falling out at some point. A few weeks later and now I'm putting it back on. I didn't see where they came from exactly and I can't find them on the parts diagram for the front fascia area.

IMG_0294.jpg
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenb84 View Post
    When I was removing my front fascia these came falling out at some point. A few weeks later and now I'm putting it back on. I didn't see where they came from exactly and I can't find them on the parts diagram for the front fascia area.

IMG_0294.jpg
    Hi Ben,

Thise are part 105453 shim plate for the door hinges. When I took my fascia off, they were used as a shim between the fascia reinforcement panel 105678 and the top of the front end support panel 108098.

When I put my front end back on, I found that I didn't need them to get things aligned properly. Of course, YMMV.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

I've also found these things used as extension braces to hold the air cowl in place. They had been slipped over the bolt designed to hold it in place originally but, for what ever reason, was spaced too far away to effectively hold the cowl. This works great and is easy to slip over the bolt and stay in place and not too ridged to form to the contour.

Quote Originally Posted by hmcelraft View Post
    I've also found these things used as extension braces to hold the air cowl in place. They had been slipped over the bolt designed to hold it in place originally but, for what ever reason, was spaced too far away to effectively hold the cowl. This works great and is easy to slip over the bolt and stay in place and not too ridged to form to the contour.
    Definitely! Thanks for outlining that. My car was one of the early ones that had the rivnuts in the wrong place to hold the radiator cowl. Here's a pic of the shim..

image.jpg
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Definitely! Thanks for outlining that. My car was one of the early ones that had the rivnuts in the wrong place to hold the radiator cowl. Here's a pic of the shim..

image.jpg
    I'm not sure they ever fixed that! At any rate it's on more than just the very early cars. But completely unnecessary. Once that fan duct is in place, it's not going anywhere.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I'm not sure they ever fixed that! At any rate it's on more than just the very early cars. But completely unnecessary. Once that fan duct is in place, it's not going anywhere.
    Thanks Dave. I understood that it was just the early ones had this error. It's an interesting quirk.
    Dana

My VIN:    2543

Oooooh yea, Now that I saw your pic I do remember seeing those there. I also have rivnuts in out of place areas that I figured was due to it being...well..a DeLorean.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

My VIN:    6125

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Thanks Dave. I understood that it was just the early ones had this error. It's an interesting quirk.
    My car had the same band-aid fix with the shim brackets. I think I left them off when reassembling everything after swapping radiators. As Dave said, they really aren't necessary.