FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Removable vents to go over louvers?

My VIN:    07000

Removable vents to go over louvers?

Does anyone have drawings or plans for the back vents that can be placed on top of our louvres, for car shows and or parade use? I know Gary Weaver posted the plans for actual vents, but before printing those and redrawing them to stair step on my louvres, I was hoping someone already did that in the past.

Thanks!

Greg

Why ?

There's times when I take the DeLorean out for events that I do as Doc Brown. I have some time machine/BTTF props inside the car now like the Flux Capacitor, Doc's glasses, speedo, hoverboard, and I place my partially completed Mr. Fusion on the louvres. I'm making a removable time circuit display box that I can just set on the console - with just the colored gels/dates and lights inside. So I thought it would be easy to make a collapsible set of vents for the back of the car which I can carry inside when driving to or from an event.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I built this using Gary's plans with plywood and gator board (high density foam core)... It just lays on the engine cover and I leave the louvers in place just open. Most people don't notice the difference. That said the louvers are easy to remove and replace - lining up the latch so that it works is the hard part.
    10644254_1702756243272643_674443456511255632_o.jpg12828454_1702756313272636_1547600609129588830_o.jpg

I also made a tow hook cable. (attached to car... not the cheesy one the event planner did.
    12829275_1702757113272556_4582361865063248150_o.jpg

I've only used it for static display and I have to transport it separately. I haven't tried to drive a parade with it though I think slow speed would be fine (especially with louvers off) as long as you provide vent holes for engine heat to escape.

Anyway... It's a work in progress and I've already obtained some more authentic parts to make it more accurate.

Good luck.
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

That looks pretty good Steve. Unfortunately I don't have an engine cover, nor would one fit over the air cleaner on my engine. If I removed the louvres and made the cover for the Mr. Fusion version, that would work, but for now I just want to make something that can easily be carried in the car - thus the idea of the collapsible vents, which would have some kind of bar that would go between and rest on the louvres so I can attach my Krups/Mr. Fusion to the top.

The sintra/wood looks like it worked out well!

I was kinda thinking using that or hardboard - even was thinking of a thicker balsa wood too.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how what looks like the sides of the vents in these plans go over the back of the car, as there doesn't seem to be an actual cut out t wrap around and over the taillights. I'm sure it's right there in front of me, as I see the veins and all.

Attached Images

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

The pieces marked in red hang down below the fascia and the arrows show how they line up. These are straight - some cars notch around the fascia. It's up to you. They were designed as separate pieces so they could be removed and the engine cover lifted up. If they were permanent then the notch around the fascia (which isn't on this version) would prevent opening the cover. You'll have to decide how to go.
    vents2.jpg

I looked at doing an install over the louvers and it really didn't leave much of the louvers intact because of the height of the louvers when compared to the vents so I changed directions. If you're not interested in screen accuracy it can be done.
    Somewhere I have a 3D model I did where I built the vents and put them on stock louver. I can try to dig it up later if you're curious.

Cheers
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    The pieces marked in red hang down below the fascia and the arrows show how they line up. These are straight - some cars notch around the fascia. It's up to you. They were designed as separate pieces so they could be removed and the engine cover lifted up. If they were permanent then the notch around the fascia (which isn't on this version) would prevent opening the cover. You'll have to decide how to go.
    vents2.jpg

I looked at doing an install over the louvers and it really didn't leave much of the louvers intact because of the height of the louvers when compared to the vents so I changed directions. If you're not interested in screen accuracy it can be done.
    Somewhere I have a 3D model I did where I built the vents and put them on stock louver. I can try to dig it up later if you're curious.

Cheers
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, that makes sense- forgot about the whole"being able to lift the engine cover" thing. AND YES! If you could find that model that would be most excellent- and if not no worries - I can fire up Inventor and give it a whack.

My VIN:    2567 (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    I built this using Gary's plans with plywood and gator board (high density foam core)... It just lays on the engine cover and I leave the louvers in place just open.
    Where can I find a copy of Gary's plan?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan S. View Post
    Where can I find a copy of Gary's plan?
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?76...hlight=destroy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast