FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headers Exhaust Houston or DPI

My VIN:    6654

Club(s):   (DCF)

Headers Exhaust Houston or DPI

I'm looking to buy new headers for my DeLorean. I'm assuming that all vendors will be at DCS later this week.

Which do you like better DPI or Houston's? Here are my questions?
    1. Best performance
    2. Best sound
    3. Best construction
    Best Stainless
    If it is the same stainless which is thicker
    Which will last the longest.

I have original (non-stainless) Houston Stage I headers. The sound great but the powercoat is flaking off.

http://store.delorean.com/p-10337-st...t-upgrade.aspx
    http://www.deloreanindustries.com/spec-i-exhaust/
    Last edited by Lenny; 07-19-2016 at 11:01 AM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    6125

+1

Also looking for some good comparison info. I've never seen any actual numbers posted for advertised HP increase. If it's a marginal gain that's fine, but I at least want to know I'm paying for the sound and not the performance.

My VIN:    6654

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    +1

Also looking for some good comparison info. I've never seen any actual numbers posted for advertised HP increase. If it's a marginal gain that's fine, but I at least want to know I'm paying for the sound and not the performance.
    I can talk about the sound it rumbles, I love it, it sounds like a 60's Chevy 357. I've pulled up to stoplights and my car just rumbles. People have rolled down the windows and asked what engine I have in it. I tell them a V6 and they just laugh, they can't believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMQUoyW2fRw
    Last edited by Lenny; 07-19-2016 at 11:03 AM.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

DMCH New Build in 2005, Stage II, DPI Stainless Exhaust, Eibach Suspension, 170 Mph Speedometer, Xenon Lights, Wings-A-Loft, DMC Wide Angle Side Mirrors, 3rd Brake Light

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    I have original (non-stainless) Houston Stage I headers. The sound great but the powercoat is flaking off.
    Give Houston a call on that. If memory serves, many of the very first headers they sold had that problem, and they would address it free of charge.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

Formally hmm252000

My VIN:    4099

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny View Post
    Which do you like better DPI or Houston's? Here are my questions?
    1. Best performance
    2. Best sound
    3. Best construction
    Best Stainless
    If it is the same stainless which is thicker
    Which will last the longest.
    I've owned a DPI system for nearly 6 years now and have been in a DMCH equipped car as well (original pre-stainless stage 2). The biggest difference is volume. The DPI has a bigger muffler which eliminates the loud drone you get on the highway. Still sounds great, just lets you enjoy other aspects of driving the car instead of forcing you to think about the exhaust all the time.

Construction is solid. Thick flanges and good welds. I haven't had a single problem with it since installation. Josh used to show his wall of DMCH systems that his customers have replaced with his setup. DMCH hasn't been able to do the same thing as far as I'm aware. So take that for what it's worth.

I can't comment on performance as I've never driven a DMCH Stage 2 with a DPI exhaust. But there was definitely a nice bump in performance from stock. So I would expect either the same or better performance if you swapped.

Have you removed the Nology system yet? If so, that should provide few extra HP too.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

+1 for the DPI set up.

Houston's new muffler is a rectangular box, which is to accommodate the Stage III blower. Take a look at it. I don't like it because it looks home made. Just my two cents.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    +1 for the DPI set up.

Houston's new muffler is a rectangular box, which is to accommodate the Stage III blower. Take a look at it. I don't like it because it looks home made. Just my two cents.
    This. In addition, I also don't care for the way the headers, catalytic converters, and exhaust pipes themselves hang down below the rear fascia and quarter panels. The DPI exhaust tucks everything out of sight much better for a cleaner look.

DPI exhaust:

DMC-Texas exhaust:
    Attached Images
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

I have a DPI exhaust and I'm right down the road if you ever want to hear it in person. I can tell you that the exhaust sounds great outside the car but inside it can get to be quite loud. I plan to put some sound deadening material behind the seats.
    -----Dan B.

I couldn't be happier with the fit, finish, and sound of my DPI. Plenty loud without being obnoxious. Zero drone.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

I will not be in attendance Lenny. Feel free to email or call with any additional questions on our offerings.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast