FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: You built a hot tub... out of a DeLorean?

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    everything combined ends up creating a hellaciously strong fiberglass
    <pipedream> Strong enough to use two stainless steel subframes as in the original design? </pipedream>

Thanks for posting the pic!
    Last edited by Farrar; 08-10-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: lack of coffee
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I wonder if that body design would improve crash rigidity? Less flex than the original.
    It's a good possibility. Although it does also make you wonder about energy absorption. Does it still slow you down properly in a crash? The crash test data from the two DMC-12s revealed that the passengers were actually quite safe, and that there was minimal intrusion into the passenger compartment since the footwells are so cavernous.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    <pipedream> Strong enough to use two stainless steel subframes as in the original design? </pipedream>

Thanks for posting the pic!
    That was a certainly an ambitious design, wasn't it? No offence to Bill Collins who did a great job with what he had, but that was a noble experiment that I'm glad did not get conducted. ERM probably could have worked for the underbody instead of VARI, but not as a chassis substitute. Not even the Trabant dared to try that.

No problem about the pictures either. I knew I had seen the photo of the prototype underbody before, but couldn't find the picture again. The weird thing about this is how the publicity surrounding the DMC-12 application is so hush-hush, yet when you track down the partner they use, they've got all this information including a video describing how they do all of it, and then there are these other industry articles as well.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10201

The crashworthiness of a the car is way more complex than simply changing the rigidity and that the original test performed is year behind in terms of technology and knowledge. What passed then does not mean it would pass today. They wouldnt be allowed to sell a mass produced cars in which the doors pop open during a crash like the delorean video. Even as recently as 2011 the testing changed. The side impact test for example changed crash dummies from the SID-H3 to the ES-2re to get better data. The delorean would need a lot of re-engineering to pass a modern crash test.

My VIN:    6585

Most definitely. I can't argue with you on that. It's why the "replica car" law gives the exemption to allow for the vehicles to be only adherent to the model year in which they were built in order to avoid modern testing standards. Even back with those standards then though, I'm just wondering how much different the rigidity of the Nomex Honeycomb is compared to the Polyurethane, and if that makes a difference in the deformity of the crumple zones and energy absorption, and ultimately passenger safety.

Although again, the DMC-12 appears to have done pretty well for itself back in the day compared to other cars.

NHTSA Report for the DMC-12.

Even in the crash test itself, the doors opening made the crash look far worse than it actually was, and the report notates that. Now I don't know for certain, but I do in fact wonder when and why the idiot light to lock the doors was introduced into the car? If the doors did not latch properly around the striker pins, then yes, they would have twisted off and separated from the body. What if DMC knew that, possibly from that crash test video, and then decided to introduce the "LOCK DOORS" warning light as a solution?

If the doors don't fully latch, they won't stay closed in a crash, right? But when the doors don't fully latch, they also can't lock either. So how about that light? Close the door, annoying light turns on. Driver naturally gets annoyed so they lock the door. BUT if the door isn't latched for safety, it also won't lock, so the light refuses to turn off. Annoyed owner has to open and close the door again until the latches fully engage, so that they can turn the annoying warning light off.

Given that carjackings aren't exactly that prevalent back in 1981, and up until 33 years later until I bought a '14 Focus, I've never had another car that warned me when the doors were unlocked. Perhaps with the DeLorean it was a psychological trick to ensure the occupants were safe without them realizing it?
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    10201

Lol I dont know why the light is there, but I think it'll have more impact on other aspects of the car than the crumple zone.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotafreak88 View Post
    We do need a butchered delorean registry
    HERE is a start.

If you know of others not on this list, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Thomas

Last edited by Citizen; 08-11-2016 at 09:16 AM.
    Keeper of the DeLorean Owners Directory, at www.DeloreanOwnersDirectory.net

Get the world's only DeLorean Mobile App Here

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

The hot-tub is now for sale on FB, if you are interested

Just in time for those cold winter nights
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by citizen View Post
    HERE is a start.

If you know of others not on this list, please let me know...
    I'm so proud to have put a car on that list.

BTW, 10115 met its untimely demise in 2003, not 2005.
    Louie Golden

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

4670 was red. Parted out.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    3997

I've talked to the girl who is trying to sell it. They are looking to fetch 7,000 bucks for it.

I told her to contact DMC-CA, maybe they would be interested in it for the parts alone. (Rims, Panels, Torsion Bars, Doors, etc.)

EDIT - I didn't watch the video before...they got all the parts FROM DMC-CA. Hah.

14680738_10153939403121828_3839995990945941848_n.jpg14708244_10153939403006828_3017311636687697769_n.jpg14721735_10153939402941828_6167362510403016834_n.jpg14731302_10153939403056828_5163568673332137348_n.jpg
    Last edited by Ryan King; 10-26-2016 at 02:03 AM.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast