FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Mirror switch and electrical gremlins

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Mirror switch and electrical gremlins

A bit of backstory...

I needed to do a lock and latch procedure on 6631 a while back, so I started disassembling the driver side door. As is the case many times, when I attempted to remove my power mirror switch, it broke open, and the contents spilled all over the place. I could not find two of the roller pins, so I ordered the modern replacement switch from DMCH.

While the switch was being shipped, I actually located the missing pins, and put all of the OEM switch components away for later rebuild.

A couple of months ago, the new switch comes in, and I start to attach it to the existing plastic connector. In my haste, I initially wired it backwards (ground still in the proper location, everything else reversed). Plugged it in, didn't function correctly, unplugged it and realized the issue (had actually forgotten that I plugged it in this way initially, didn't remember until I started writing this post). I rewired the plug, plugged it back in, and the gremlins appeared.

Initially, both mirrors were plugged in, I put the car into Accessory power mode, and tried Down on the LH (Drivers) mirror. Worked fine. Tried Up on the LH side. RPM relay buzzed, then the 10A mirror fuse popped. Crap. Unplugged both mirrors power supply, replaced fuse and tried again. Fuse blew again.

Left it alone for a month and a half or so, and started looking at it again yesterday. I rebuilt and tested my OEM switch via multimeter. Plugged it in, unplugged both mirrors, and went through the buttons. No action, but no fuse pop. Plugged in LH mirror. Moved down as expected, and Up once again set off the RPM relay and popped the fuse. Replaced the fuse, unplugged the LH mirror and plugged the RH mirror in. Tested, no fuse pop, but no movement either.

So, now I'm stuck. 1, the mirrors don't adjust (which isn't huge, as I'm the only driver) and 2, concerned about the RPM relay responding to that switch.

While it is a new way to avoid a hot-start problem, I'd like to get this figured out. Is there a way to test the mirror motors themselves and see if I've cooked them? Some other area that I could look at? I've attached the pinout for the mirror switch, annotated with what I believe to be the function of each pin.mirror_switch.jpg

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Nevermind, got it. Traced everything inside the door, from the female plug for the switch to the mirror switch, and it appears I got my green wires backward. Everything works perfectly now.

Mods, this can be closed, or saved for idiot prosperity