FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: A Modern, Backlit, All-Electronic Cluster

My VIN:    10722

Now, you just need to mass market a plug-and-play version to the rest of us that would like this cool upgrade.

Andy

My VIN:    6631

Club(s):   (AZ-D)

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    I'm scrapping the lexan plan, and am waiting to here back from a professional for printing. Otherwise, I now have completed the final design. Resolution is 4630 × 1260.
    First of all, that looks great...awesome work!

Question on printing, however. Would this be done on a similar type of material to the A/C decal? If so, wonder if we could make some replacement, partially transparent headlamp switch icon labels

My VIN:    2065

Cool Cluster Design

Cluster design done.

This look great, well done.

My VIN:    Early

Today, I decided to sloppily put together my own "label." I used 4 sheets of transparencies, three of them with colored "invisible" icons and one with greyed out "invisible" icons. I decided to do this after receiving a quote of $300-$400 from a professional.

Here's the result.
    image.jpg

Here's a few backlit with an led flashlight.
    image.jpg

Here's the center icons backlit, and I know, bad picture quality...
    image.jpg

Notice the icons disappear when not lit.
    image.jpg

Please mind that these sheets were put together in 30 minutes and the printer was an inkjet. I'll probably use my laser printer to print in the future...

Also, if anybody knows an individual with an industrial printer that can print on lexan, please let know.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

It's all fine.

Anyways, I'd rather have idiots come up to my car and say it's "fast" because it has a 160 MPH speedo. That is one reason why I chose to use this specific speedometer... Otherwise, it's just for looks.
    If you're looking to please the idiots, just make it an 88MPH speedometer

My VIN:    10350 & 2083 SEARCHING FOR VIN#16664

Club(s):   (DMCNE)

Today, I decided to sloppily put together my own "label." I used 4 sheets of transparencies, three of them with colored "invisible" icons and one with greyed out "invisible" icons. I decided to do this after receiving a quote of $300-$400 from a professional.

Here's the result.
    image.jpg

Here's a few backlit with an led flashlight.
    image.jpg

Here's the center icons backlit, and I know, bad picture quality...
    image.jpg

Notice the icons disappear when not lit.
    image.jpg

Please mind that these sheets were put together in 30 minutes and the printer was an inkjet. I'll probably use my laser printer to print in the future...

Also, if anybody knows an individual with an industrial printer that can print on lexan, please let know.
    Looks promising. Great job. Any update?
    ---------------------------------
    SEARCHING FOR VIN #16664
    ---------------------------------

Will be finally finishing this project soon. I decided to go with a professional cluster printout as to avoid UV ink fade. It took awhile for the print to come in from Black Cat Custom Automotive as they had an emergency before my design was queued. Finally, after USPS almost lost the package, I received the custom print.

Here's the pictures.

Edit: This print cost less than $200 shipped to my door...
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-15-2017 at 11:17 PM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Semi-installed the gauges.

Do to lighting issues on the smaller gauges, I have to wait for some transparent countersunk screws until I can complete the project. In the meantime however, I'll be wiring and installing the indicators.

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That looks really good. too bad you couldnt get a bunch made up for a lesser cost. This is the kinda upgrade I wouldnt mind doing to mine.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Lwanmtr View Post
    That looks really good. too bad you couldnt get a bunch made up for a lesser cost. This is the kinda upgrade I wouldnt mind doing to mine.
    The only way a kit could ever be possible is with a partnership between DMCH and the manufacturer, Dakota Digital. That is only a dream, however, because DMCH cannot even reproduce binnacles let alone design a new cluster to fit in the binnacle.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast