FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: A Modern, Backlit, All-Electronic Cluster

My VIN:    07000

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    The only way a kit could ever be possible is with a partnership between DMCH and the manufacturer, Dakota Digital. That is only a dream, however, because DMCH cannot even reproduce binnacles let alone design a new cluster to fit in the binnacle.
    Well, now that you have the prototype, I would suggest talking to Steve about it. They would typically hire you as either an external designer/vendor, and then make an offer to buy your design/prototype at a fair price. You might even be asked to help with the production of more units with Dakota as
    you have that relationship with them.

If you want, pm me and we can talk more offline, as I've done a number of projects that went into limited production.

Greg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I was talking more about the plate you had printed up, not really the whole thing.....though a good write up on how you went about doing it all..any mods to make the replacement guages fit, etc would be cool.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm totally stealing this idea when I have the money. Thanks for sharing this project!
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    05141

Man, that is totally cool. I am very interested in one of those.

Jan

Steering with power

My VIN:    07000

If I could even get a fuel gauge that was accurate out of this, I'd be a happy camper.

My VIN:    Early

Well, if I am completely successful with this project, there may be a possibility of me making a few one-offs for a few of you. I am thinking about 10 clusters max. Of course, if that becomes reality, it would cost all the way in the range of $2500-$3000 since it takes quite a bit of work to just build the cluster. Extra wiring would also have to be run by the buyer for the new sensors.

Anyways, with this cluster, I have completely eliminated the otterstat in favor of a Dakota Digital fan controller, which uses the head temperture sensor. If for some reason the sensor becomes inop, the controller defaults the fans to always on, thus saving the aluminum PRV from overheat.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Finally fixed my lighting issues. I'm now moving on to the warning indicators. No pics for now though.

Also, I will post the illustrator .ai file of my design soon. So, if anybody wants to eventually tackle this themselves, I'd be happy to guide you through the process via PM.
    Last edited by 81dmc; 04-23-2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Quoted myself:/
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Cluster is put together. Now I just need to finish the wiring under the dash.

image.jpg
    image.jpg

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Looking good. Thats gonna look really good in the car.

I'd definately love to put this on my list of possible upgrades.
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Got some of the indicators wired. I'm waiting for an order from Super Bright LEDs for the four green LEDs to finish this process...

There is a video demonstration of the indicators and dimming functions included down below. Also, sorry for the shaky camera. My iPhone 5 is not the best camcorder.

Last edited by 81dmc; 04-25-2017 at 11:10 PM. Reason: YouTube URL

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast