FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: A Modern, Backlit, All-Electronic Cluster

My VIN:    6313

Quote Originally Posted by 81dmc View Post
    Glad to hear my design is helping others!

Anyways, I used Rustproof Body for the DMC logo and I used Bebas Neue for everything else save for the km/h lettering.
    Here is a HUGE shoutout to 81DMC/Rodolfo for making this design possible (providing the .ai file with the vast majority of the graphics, tons of work, and the idea!). This solved a very tricky problem for me (displaying EV data on the stock gauges) into a dash that will be perfect for the TesLorean.

mockup v1b.jpg

I still need to do some testing to position the indicator lights correctly (left and right sides). The warning icons on the right-hand side were worked by my brother-in-law.

Steering : Electric Power Steering start-up and fault signals
    Battery : Low reserve remaining
    Mechanical : Warning from the Tesla Drive Unit
    Battery : Warning from the traction battery (400v)
    Brake : Handbrake, brake fluid, and (flashing) warning to engage brake when switching to Park or Neutral

The gauges have been revamped for Electric Vehicle information. The two white blocks below the RANGE and MPH gauges will be 16 character x 2 line LCD display (white text, blue background) to display PRDN, Cruise control info, instant power levels, faults, Range > 80 miles, etc.

I use Inkscape to make the edits (free and processes .ai or SVG files). Still lots of checks and cleanup to do before it'll be ready to print.

I can't thank Rodolfo enough... this has totally made my month!

Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    6313

Glad to hear my design is helping others!

Anyways, I used Rustproof Body for the DMC logo and I used Bebas Neue for everything else save for the km/h lettering.
    Rodolfo,

How did you handle the sides of the gauge housing that are attached to the warning lights on either side? My first thought was to cut away the existing warning light face and leave only the plastic that makes up the sides of the inner binnacle housing, but this irreparably modifies a part (something I'd prefer to avoid). I also thought about somehow fashioning my own, perhaps 3D printed, but it is a very compound curve shape - so that might be challenging.

Thanks
    Jeff
    Jeff
    #6313 (lic: DMC-EV Texas), 25k miles, 100% leather, touchpad, 100% LED, dimmable LED dash, remote door lock & Elvis mod, all A/C vents in kneepads, wedgectomy, escutcheon velcro fix, GM door chimer, custom arm rest/storage/controls...

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by DrJeff View Post
    Rodolfo,

How did you handle the sides of the gauge housing that are attached to the warning lights on either side? My first thought was to cut away the existing warning light face and leave only the plastic that makes up the sides of the inner binnacle housing, but this irreparably modifies a part (something I'd prefer to avoid). I also thought about somehow fashioning my own, perhaps 3D printed, but it is a very compound curve shape - so that might be challenging.

Thanks
    Jeff
    To fit all my gauges, I had to modify those two pieces. IIRC, I cut no more than 1/4" off the warning light bezels.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I had a go at Rodolfo's brilliant file and changed it slightly to suit me. Who can spot the difference? ;-)

DeLorean Cluster Rodolfo (Farrar modification).jpg
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Looks like you changed the fuel gauge to have an "E" and an "F".
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Looks like you changed the fuel gauge to have an "E" and an "F".
    Sharp eyes, Rodolfo!

Thanks again for all of your hard work on this! It's a thing of beauty.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

gauge

Needs a little arrow mark by the fuel gauge to show
    which side of the car has the tank filler...

My VIN:    4877

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Horizontal guages, cruise control....but no sheep warning light
    Rob Depew
    Tacoma, Wa
    '81 DeLorean 4877 Grey, Auto, 4 wheels
    The Ressurection of 4877......
    Website
    YouTube
    My Patreon

Just an update on this.

I chose Dakota digital to build my cluster because of the options. Looks like it will pay off with my new VR6 swap.
    I'll be able to use their megasquirt interface module to feed my cluster via a data bus. Let's see how that works

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...od/prd1127.htm

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8