FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Braided hose fire warning !!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Braided hose fire warning !!

This is under the EFI section because a number of us used this hose in our setups, but everyone should be aware of it.

I'm still double checking for my old invoices to confirm the vendor, but a few of us bought stainless steel braided fuel hoses to connect up our fuel rails in our EFI setups. (Not Delorean specific vendors). These were rated at >1000 psi, so there shouldn't be a problem whatsoever.

The first time (6 months ago?) I noticed a pin hole spraying gas from my hose going from the filter to the first rail. I assumed a stray SS strand must have punctured it. I replaced it with another length I had. Yesterday I smelled gas upon returning home. My 6" section that connects my two fuel rails was wet. I checked the fittings for tightness and then repressurized. HOLY CRAP, half a dozen tiny jets of gas coming from it along its length and from all directions! MASSIVE failure of the rubber or something. This hose doesn't sit on any hot parts or move at all. It's only a couple of years old.

While I've emailed the owners locally that I know to have these hoses, this warning is for everyone that may have such hoses.

I was lucky.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    03572

You need to find the vendor and try to get a data sheet on the hose. 1000 PSI rated on a little rubber hose?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

The EFI fuel hose I use is rated 900PSI burst (whether that is true or not, who knows?) so 1000PSI doesn't seem that unlikely. I've been using it for years on many different vehicles with crimp style (requires crimp tool) fuel line clamps with 0 issues. Regular ugly rubber fuel hoses yes, but they're tried & true to me, provided you aren't routing them next to sharp edges, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    -----Dan B.

I don't even have a DeLorean yet but that's scary. find the vendor yet?

Almost sounds like the hose wasn't rated for the high pressure injection system?

Cut the braiding off one and see if the hose underneath has PSI ratings?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

The vendor has been very responsive to the issue and has, without hesitation, sent out replacement. As they are the wholesaler and not the manufacturer of the hose, I really couldn't have asked for a better resolution. They assured me that they have sold 'miles' of this hose without incident, that it indeed is rated for the stated very high pressures and that the pictures I sent seemed to confirm my position. They did what they could to keep me happy.

Now, as far as the fact that the hoses actually developed leaks....that's disconcerting. In looking down the inside of one I was able to see thin lines on the inside wall as if it had dried out and cracked. It is plausible that I had a bad run and since I cut all of my pieces from the same batch, that would explain why I had two separate failures. While I'm certainly more wary now, I don't see how I can do anything other than what I'm doing which is to replace the 4 lengths with the new stuff coming and simply remain vigilant for the future.

The warning stands for ANY fuel hoses or fittings; check them regularly and never dismiss any fuel smell as a fluke.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    While I'm certainly more wary now, I don't see how I can do anything other than what I'm doing which is to replace the 4 lengths with the new stuff coming and simply remain vigilant for the future.

The warning stands for ANY fuel hoses or fittings; check them regularly and never dismiss any fuel smell as a fluke.

Careful. You're going to make a critical decision to re-use a type of hose that has already shown propensity to fail after just a few years? Are you speculating that you had a "bad run", or did the vendor volunteer this information?

The reasonable choice would be to switch to another brand or type of hose.

When your passenger with 3rd degree burns dies and his/her family sues you, a jury may not look favorably on the fact that you had prior knowledge that this hose would fail and yet substituted the same part a second time. If you knew there was a risk this hose would fail prematurely and disregarded it, which fits the facts here unless you have some reason to know with certainty that your hose fell within a bad batch, it could mean a charge of involuntary manslaughter under a mens rea of recklessness.

There have been plenty of DeLorean immolating themselves, but has anyone been injured in the process?

Watch some real world car fires on YouTube. They are very different from Hollywood special effects.

Takes a surprisingly long time for an engine compartment fire to breach the passenger compartment (several minutes).

Cold comfort when your engine (and the back half of the car) is toast, but at least you live to tell the tale.

Bill Robertson

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I'm sorry but I agree with Matt. Once failure, time to pick a different brand.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    -----Dan B.

I wasn't disagreeing about the hose (personally I think any fuel line over 6 PSI is madness...), only that a passenger is likely to get injured/killed if/when it sets the engine on fire.

Bill Robertson

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post

Watch some real world car fires on YouTube.

Bill Robertson
    Okay, I did:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast