FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Braided hose fire warning !!

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

No OEM for an EFI'd Delorean; source where you can.

I've decided not to risk it. I'm going with 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD fuel injection hose (no braiding of any sort). I had a small piece laying around so I tested it with my fittings and it works really nicely.... first you slide the end cap over the hose, then screw in the second part of the fitting through the end cap and it goes down the bore of the hose. In doing so it expands the hose outwards and tightens it against the inside walls of the end cap. Really secure, but that wasn't where the issues were in any case. Now I'll be able to quickly eyeball and occasionally squeeze the hoses to ensure that they are in good shape.

The walls of the new stuff are reinforced with some kind of fiber in the middle of the 1/4" wall thickness. There is a PTFE or similar lining on the interior. Compared to the rubber section of the braided hose, it is much beefier and is rated at 100psi. How the heck could the other one claim > 1000 psi???? I suppose the SS braiding essentially caged the whole thing. Burst pressure is one thing, degradation/cracking is altogether different.

Jegs is being very responsive. Nothing but helpful.
    Last edited by Spittybug; 08-02-2016 at 10:50 PM.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    In the interest of everyone's safety, I now feel it necessary to divulge the brand. It is Pro-Flo 200. If you have these, STOP AND CHECK THEM.
    THANKS for this! (I'll check the fox body car and report back...)

WTH! ...You must be living right, bro.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Jegs took care of me and sent 10ft of the 3/8" fuel injector hose as replacement. I bought some new fittings so that I'd have no issues with any galling or scratches from the old ones on the SS braiding (probably overkill by me, but OK, I liked the brushed nickel color too) and put my hoses together. I like the way they went in and how the center tube really tightens up in them.

Installed in car, pressurized system and good to go! Bone dry. Pressure is still holding within a pound or two of when I shut it down over an hour ago.

I needed to straighten out the old hoses to get the right lengths for the new ones. They were as hard and brittle as 50 year old ones. Check yours.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    3997

I hope John Hervey doesn't use this type of braided line for his fuel lines...
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Drive Stainless View Post
    Okay, I did:

I hope they were okay. Talk about being a marshmallow.
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3