FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: CA Smog Emissions Fail

My VIN:    10270

The LC2 is only 4 wires now which is nice. I am replacing my LC1 because of some issues I've had with it (stuck outputs)
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    6585

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    A wideband sensor does not directly produce a voltage related to AFR like a narrow band sensor. It has 6 wires (or more) and electronics drive the sensor to get signals from it.

So the Innovate system has that electronics which the wideband sensor plugs into. Then that electronics can produce the signal that simulates the narrow band voltage and you drive that signal into the lambda ECU. The advantage is you can set the AFR you want so the simulated signal produces what the narrow band would have produced at 14.7 AFR.

The display uses a second output out of that electronics to show you the AFR.

So you are not modifying anything connecting your stock lambda ECU to the system.
    I see what you're saying. The LC-2 controller has dual outputs, which are also user configurable. The Yellow wire goes directly to the gauge, and the brown analog wire would feed the LAMBDA. It's preset values according to Innovated are: 1.1 volt = 14 AFR and .1 volt = 15 AFR. How does this compare with the stock O2 sensor? Is that plug & play? Or does it require a reprogramming?

Even if you didn't want to modify your car, you could just leave the gauge hidden under parcel shelf on a lead of wires with the ECUs so you could just pull it out whenever you want to actively monitor the gauge for testing or tuning.

I wish they still made just a simple LM-1 for greater simplicity.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    The LC2 is only 4 wires now which is nice. I am replacing my LC1 because of some issues I've had with it (stuck outputs)
    I do like the remote LED function of the LC1 to read error codes. I used that to drive my LAMBDA light.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Well, the shop richened the mixture to the edge where the dwell would oscillate and reduced timing to the lowest spec which got it to pass this time around. I'm relieved it's over! (for another two years). I'm just going to have to dig around and figure out why the car prefers to run lean when the dwell is correct and the FV is buzzing like it's in spec.

Here are the good results:
    smogresults.jpg
    Last edited by bytes311; 08-13-2016 at 09:23 PM.

Roughly how much did it cost you to get the car diagnosed and fixed and where did you take it? I live in southern California, Ventura county and id hate to have to take it all the way to DMC CA to have it fixed for emissions testing, but being that my mechanic doesn't like working on my 70 camaro due to parts being hard to find, I dont think he will want to touch a DeLorean lol.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    0934

Which problem are you working on? Getting the initial smog check done for new registration/ownership or ongoing service for a D that has passed CA smog before?

For the first problem remember that it is up to the Seller to provide a recent smog certificate as a condition of sale and registration. It isn't your problem unless you waive that requirement.

For the second problem look for a decent indy shop that is familiar with BMW/VW/Volvo/MBZ/Saab/Porsche cars of the era. Those brands and others ran models with Bosch K-Jet fuel systems back in the day, the same system DeLoreans have.

In case bytes311 doesn't reply a google maps search on "Volvo repair" for the Oxnard area shows almost 10 shops, some of which likely can do what you need done.

Quote Originally Posted by 5dmc1 View Post
    Roughly how much did it cost you to get the car diagnosed and fixed and where did you take it? I live in southern California, Ventura county and id hate to have to take it all the way to DMC CA to have it fixed for emissions testing, but being that my mechanic doesn't like working on my 70 camaro due to parts being hard to find, I dont think he will want to touch a DeLorean lol.

March '81, 5-speed, black interior

There is actually a Scandinavian shop here in town where I live that specializes in BMW MB and Volvo, I'm quite far from Oxnard, closer to LA county, in fact I'm right on the border, ill have to ring them on Monday and see if they have any vintage experience.

Also, does the smog certificate apply to out of state cars? If I get a car from Texas with an emissions certificate will CA accept it?

I took my car to a local Volvo shop whose also familiar with our cars. I believe the bill out of the door was approximately $400. They installed a new O2 sensor and adjusted the a/f mixture to get my car to pass. Since then, I've found and repaired numerous issues with my car that I wasn't aware were issues at the time, from vacuum leaks to new injectors to rebuilding my WUR. I'm curious what my numbers are going to look like when I go in in a couple months.

My VIN:    0934

Also, does the smog certificate apply to out of state cars? If I get a car from Texas with an emissions certificate will CA accept it?
    1. Yes. CA residents have a limited amount of time to register an out of state car they bring into CA. And to do that they need to provide a recent/valid CA smog cert. for that car.
    2. No. Only smog inspection stations in CA can perform the test. That lets non-CA sellers off the hook for responsibility. You could negotiate the testing/cert cost out of the deal.

The rules are explained here.

Try calling DMC Calif. They've probably dealt with this before in and also will know what DMCH does for CA buyers.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

anybody got a Stage 1 in CA and are passing smog? Its CA legal, has an EO number but is the PRV still passing with the aftermarket CATs? I really want the Stage 1 for my D as the FIRST mod I do when I get it, but passing SMOG is paramount and I dont want to "dirty" smog the car, if you know what I mean.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast