FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: CA Smog Emissions Fail

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    All seems bit harsh if I am reading it right a misconfigured setup/issue screws you for eternity.....
    I talked to three smog shops in my local area last week and they all said that the new smog machines the state requires do not allow them to do pre-tests anymore.

My VIN:    0934

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    I talked to three smog shops in my local area last week and they all said that the new smog machines the state requires do not allow them to do pre-tests anymore.
    That's unfortunate if true for all of them. My local shop must have been running an old smog machine when I tested there last month. And passed again.

Interesting to see that the 2017 Calif. Smog Check Manual https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf clearly lists the pre-test option (p.34) yet the (required?) new machines cannot perform a pre-test? I guess something changed.

As far as being "screwed for eternity" per Post #50 above, there isn't much of a downside to the STAR test station limitation. Those stations aren't hard to find and tend to be run by folks who know what they're doing. The test procedure for old cars like DeLoreans is the same at STAR and non-STAR shops.
    Last edited by Rich; 06-16-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Interesting to see that the 2017 Calif. Smog Check Manual https://www.bar.ca.gov/pdf/2017_Smog_Check_Manual.pdf clearly lists the pre-test option (p.34) yet the (required?) new machines cannot perform a pre-test? I guess something changed.
    Yep, that's what they told me. They said as soon as their machines are turned on/logged on, they are ready to transmit.

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    Yep, that's what they told me. They said as soon as their machines are turned on/logged on, they are ready to transmit.
    I think this plays back into the old Cash for Clunkers thing. My Tennant just failed her smog test with her 2001 Focus, and the state paid her 1500 dollars for the car. Put simply, the state doesnt want these older more polluting vehicles on the road anymore, and the fact that they dont have any system in place to make exemptions for vehicles that are considered historically significant is appalling. If they want to make things harder for owners of older cars then they need to make exemptions for cars like DeLoreans, Lamborghinis, Ferrari, and other famous cars from those eras. No DeLorean should ever be destined for the crusher...

I just had my bi-annual smog test yesterday. My numbers came back better than they've ever been, and for once in my 5 years of ownership it didn't cost an arm and a leg.

My NOx shows a bit high. Perhaps I'm still running a tad lean? They didn't smog my car right away. In fact, it sat outside for 6 hours -- chances are it wasn't even properly warmed up.

IMG_20200701_162155.jpg

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6