FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New to Forum and question about a car I'm looking to get

My VIN:    10201

Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    Hey, good to see you got signed up! That was me on the RPF.

Guys, are there any owners in the Chicago area that might be able to help inspect the car?
    DMCMW comes to mind

My VIN:    5482

Fuel lines look original; If you decide to purchase this car, plan on replacing those soon. It's not a big expense. Just another line on the spreadsheet.
    Jeff

The AC is potentially a pretty big job by itself. The 35 year old lines almost certainly leak, and the r-12 refrigerant these cars came with isn't cheap and isn't readily available. You could re-fit the car with lines meant for r-143a refrigerant and a new compressor, but it's a job that'll cost you some dollars and hours. Additionally, the orifice tube on the evaporator is fragile and prone to break when changing the lines. If it does break and has to be replaced, the interior of the car has to be 90% disassembled to get to it. Seats, console, instrument cluster, kneepads, glovebox, dash.

If you plan on a re-fit, I'd start with this kit. $720 for lines and a new compressor through DPI.
    http://www.deloreanindustries.com/a-...-w-compressor/

My VIN:    5311

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

A big one is how long the car has been sitting unused. The longer it's been since being started, the more problems the fuel system can develop.

If you find a car that's been sitting for a really long time, for the love of God and all that is holy, do not let ANYONE try to start it.
    - Chris

what

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2