FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Front Panel Doesn't Quite Fit Right

Front Panel Doesn't Quite Fit Right

So, one thing that has been bothering me is how my HVAC panel looks. It wasn't lined up properly or something and the knobs were falling off, to make matters worse someone previously replaced the rheostat dimmer control with one that is WAY too tall so that looks bad as well. I want to remedy it so I'm tackling the console.

Now that I've got the console apart, I realized that the little screw that holds the HVAC plate to the backboard was missing. I found that I can push the plate backward and it looks much better. However, I've tried to dry-fit the "front panel" under the HVAC panel but it forces the HVAC panel up and away from the backing plate, this is why the people who were in here last left it crappy.

How is this stuff supposed to fit together? It doesn't seem to fit together correctly in my DeLorean... Any pointers? I think ideally a video showing how this is supposed to go together would be most helpful but I've scoured youtube without success.

FrontPanelShape.jpg FrontPanelShape2.jpg

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

There's some info on this topic in this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10200

The single screw that holds the A/C control fascia in place is a weak spot. Grady and DMCH both have them. A replacement that's too long is bad for the mode switch behind it. That little screw cannot make up for a poor fit or broken pins on the back of that A/C fascia.

Get familiar with the parts and take your time - it's pretty simple. Not aware of any teardown videos for that area.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

First & foremost, as Jim Prentice explained at DCS'04, our consoles are essentially mass production prototypes. DMC ran out of money and time. I suspect the original vision was plastic construction like the lower door panels (early) and B pillar trim. Don't feel bad if you need to fiddle with your console to get everything to line up correctly -- pretty much every owner does (especially given the console's flimsy cardboard construction).

The console depends upon two pop riveted brackets on either side for vertical clearance in the front (the pieces that fit over the underbody studs). If those brackets aren't pop riveted correctly, the console will never fit right. Likewise if the cardboard loses its integrity, allowing the pop rivets to sag or even pull out altogether (that's what happened to mine). If you need to re-pop rivet the brackets you can use large diameter head rivets and backing washers for a tighter fit.

Even with a correctly fitting console, my A/C panel has very tight fit between the shifter plate and the radio bracket. I have best success pulling the radio out of its cage and pulling headlight and hazard flasher buttons off before inserting the A/C panel. I start at the bottom and angle in so I can press the shifter plate down slightly before I snap the top of the panel into place under the radio cage.

Be very careful with the retaining screw. Too long and it will pierce the mode switch diaphragm. Houston only wants 50 cents for a proper length screw -- just add one to your next order.

Bill Robertson
    Last edited by content22207_2; 07-24-2016 at 09:45 PM.

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hi there,

It seems that the leading edge of your front panel is bent, especially in the middle, and not straight across. I think that is why it's pushing up and out on your AC panel.

Here is the part picture for comparison:

https://store.delorean.com/p-9833-fr...lock-hole.aspx
    Last edited by DMC-81; 07-24-2016 at 10:13 PM.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    There's some info on this topic in this thread: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?10200

The single screw that holds the A/C control fascia in place is a weak spot. Grady and DMCH both have them. A replacement that's too long is bad for the mode switch behind it. That little screw cannot make up for a poor fit or broken pins on the back of that A/C fascia.

Get familiar with the parts and take your time - it's pretty simple. Not aware of any teardown videos for that area.
    Wow Rich, thanks for the thread link. I gotta do what bigmac did with the brass pins. Two of my pins (top ones) are busted off.

I found this video and it's very helpful but he is taking the center console apart and doesn't show the reassembly.

Quote Originally Posted by content22207_2 View Post
    First & foremost, as Jim Prentice explained at DCS'04, our consoles are essentially mass production prototypes. DMC ran out of money and time. I suspect the original vision was plastic construction like the lower door panels (early) and B pillar trim. Don't feel bad if you need to fiddle with your console to get everything to line up correctly -- pretty much every owner does (especially given the console's flimsy cardboard construction).

The console depends upon two pop riveted brackets on either side for vertical clearance in the front (the pieces that fit over the underbody studs). If those brackets aren't pop riveted correctly, the console will never fit right. Likewise if the cardboard loses its integrity, allowing the pop rivets to sag or even pull out altogether (that's what happened to mine). If you need to re-pop rivet the brackets you can use large diameter head rivets and backing washers for a tighter fit.

Even with a correctly fitting console, my A/C panel has very tight fit between the shifter plate and the radio bracket. I have best success pulling the radio out of its cage and pulling headlight and hazard flasher buttons off before inserting the A/C panel. I start at the bottom and angle in so I can press the shifter plate down slightly before I snap the top of the panel into place under the radio cage.

Be very careful with the retaining screw. Too long and it will pierce the mode switch diaphragm. Houston only wants 50 cents for a proper length screw -- just add one to your next order.

Bill Robertson
    Very helpful and descriptive Bill, thank you. I plan to buy one of those screws from DMC on my next order but I'm figuring that someone stripped it out previously so I'll have to figure out a way to make it bite again.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    Hi there,

It seems that the leading edge of your front panel is bent, especially in the middle, and not straight across. I think that is why it's pushing up and out on your AC panel.

Here is the part picture for comparison:

https://store.delorean.com/p-9833-fr...lock-hole.aspx
    Thanks DMC-81, I saw that too which is why I wanted to get a picture of the profile of the edge. My concern is that it's bent too much. I also found that picture from DMC but it's a top-down photo so you can't really see how much the lip is bent upward. I'm pretty sure I need to re-bend the edge so it's correct but I have no reference.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Are they supposed to be flat? Mine has a bend in it too...
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

A little tip that can make up for poor fitment. Place some very soft adhesive sponge strips (avaliable at most hardware chain stores) around the perimeter on the hvac panel. You may have to slice the thickness down a little depending on the gap. This will prevent light leaks at night.
    I have to fiddle with mine every time I take it out to get it to seat properly and every time I still have no idea what I do but after 2 or 3 times it just goes together right.

Be sure not to over tighten the screw on the panel as it will crack the light channels and prevent illumination from reaching past the crack.

My VIN:    <2000

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Are they supposed to be flat? Mine has a bend in it too...
    Hi there,

There is a crease/ bump in the metal, but the panel should be flat horizontally. If it will help, here are some pictures of mine as an example...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

You should be able to remove the front panel from the rear (by tilting it forward and pulling it back) without having it interfere with the AC panel. I removed mine just now without removing the AC panel.
    As far as fit goes...The most forward edge ( beyond the crease) is behind the AC panel, which sits on the area after the crease without undue pressure between the two panels.

Cheers,
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-81 View Post
    The most forward edge ( beyond the crease) is behind the AC panel, which sits on the area after the crease without undue pressure between the two panels.
    Thanks DMC-81, this is a helpful post. If I understand what you are saying the AC panel should rest in the crease of the black bottom panel. I'll have to see if I can straighten the edge out, it does look wavy. Any suggestions on how to do that exactly?? I think banging it with a hammer is probably a bad idea...

The A/C panel doesn't sit on your wavy edge -- it sits on the ledge in front of it, which looks straight enough in your opening pictures. If in doubt put a straight edge across that ledge. You can rest the shifter plate on a hard surface and use the straight edge to straighten the ledge if necessary.

How well do the shifter plate pins sit in your hold down brackets? They've got to seat fully in the brackets. My own plate has a tendency to jump back out. As stated, I need to press the shifter plate down slightly with the A/C panel as I seat the panel under the radio (I install my A/C panel at an angle, bottom edge first, rather than straight on). Most likely caused by my repaired hold down brackets being slightly off, but at least now I *HAVE* hold down brackets -- from the PO they were ripped loose (pop rivets pulled through the cardboard).

Bill Robertson

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast