FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: CIS injection woes

CIS injection woes

8<
    Only runs for a few seconds. No cold start valve actuation but my frequency valve buzzes when it cranks...
    Last edited by Ron; 07-25-2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Split/hijack

irarref215, What was the outcome of flushing the frequency valve (hopefully good result)?
    As I' mentioned, I've got similar no-run behavior from mine, but I discovered 2 days ago that the cold start injector is defective (I did a +12V and ground directly to the two injector pins- no click/no spray. I've ordered a replacement and once I install it, I'll post the results.

The idle speed issue doesn't sound too difficult to pinpoint - Good luck and happy DMC motoring to you!
    Meanwhile, I just installed the new cold start injector, and 6 new fuel injectors and she still won't run; sputters and shuts off after cranking.
    I'm nearing the root cause though (I'm pretty sure).
    I pulled all 6 spark plugs and found an interesting thing: cylinders 1,2 and 3 - the plugs were carbon fouled equally. Cylinders 4 and 5 plugs were wet with fuel and cylinder 6 was not fouled or wet...me thinks the fuel distributor is the culprit here - no kinked fuel lines, so the fuel delivery is wrong. I will test flow rate of each to verify...Anyone know the specification either oz/min or L/minute?

Update:
    Results of fuel injector flow rate test with f.p. running @13.1V/ ~4 amps - each injector delivered approximately 8oz./min (236ml /min) with airflow sensor wide open - pushed down to base of airflow assembly.
    Question: Is this within spec for C.I. /K-jet fuel system? Any experts out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Petes8212 View Post
    Update:
    Results of fuel injector flow rate test with f.p. running @13.1V/ ~4 amps - each injector delivered approximately 8oz./min (236ml /min) with airflow sensor wide open - pushed down to base of airflow assembly.
    Question: Is this within spec for C.I. /K-jet fuel system? Any experts out there?
    Last update:
    Engine runs now-checked valve timing on both banks, discovered that the camshafts had been timed incorrectly with the crankshaft. Re-timed both, removed and correctly installed the distributor and the engine starts just fine - idles at about about 750 to 800 RPM!

I used the resources on this form to arrive at my destination - This place rocks!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Last update:
    Engine runs now-checked valve timing on both banks, discovered that the camshafts had been timed incorrectly with the crankshaft. Re-timed both, removed and correctly installed the distributor and the engine starts just fine - idles at about about 750 to 800 RPM!

I used the resources on this form to arrive at my destination - This place rocks!
    Very unusual for the camshafts to be out-of-time. Do you have any ideas as to how that could have happened? Do you know the service history on the motor? The only way for the camshafts to lose timing is for someone to change it when installing or removing them and not time them correctly.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Very unusual for the camshafts to be out-of-time. Do you have any ideas as to how that could have happened? Do you know the service history on the motor? The only way for the camshafts to lose timing is for someone to change it when installing or removing them and not time them correctly.
    Long story short, the cylinder heads were removed and sent to a machine shop for reconditioning and re-installed to revive the engine after the vehicle sat in a garage for about 20-years. The LH and RH camshafts and crankshaft sprockets relative positions weren't noted prior to the teardown procedure - go figure!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Long story short, the cylinder heads were removed and sent to a machine shop for reconditioning and re-installed to revive the engine after the vehicle sat in a garage for about 20-years. The LH and RH camshafts and crankshaft sprockets relative positions weren't noted prior to the teardown procedure - go figure!
    If they couldn't put the camshafts back in right you have to wonder what else they didn't do right. Did they disturb the liner seals? Did they torque the heads on correctly? All previous work is suspect and should be redone or at the very least checked as much as is possible.
    David Teitelbaum