FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Help-- MisAdventures on the road before & after DMC Convention

My VIN:    20034

Help-- MisAdventures on the road before & after DMC Convention

July 21, 2016 *** TRIP TO DMC CONVENTION IN SPRINGFIELD ****

- Once in a great while my car starts up on first turn of key. Usually it’s 2nd or 3rd turn though.
    - 10:00 a.m. Car started right up with no problem. Outside temperature was 85 degrees.
    - Drove approximately 30 miles with AC conditioner on for first time since R-12 recharge a few weeks ago. Blew cold AC air, everything seemed OK. Ambient summer temperature was 90 degrees and probably 70% humidity. Found out later there was heavy drippage on passenger floor rug from AC “weeping”….ugggh.
    - 10:45 a.m. Stopped for gas & restroom break for 10 min, car struggled to restart, but it did start after about 5 turns of the key…
    - Drove approx. 70 miles at crusing speed, and got into some construction STOP & GO traffic for 3 miles, lasted 20 minutes or more and noticed: With parking lights and AC on, the AMPS on left dropped down to around 9 or 10 or 11 AMPS , and the RMPS on right were down to 500 rpms, especially when tapping brakes, and finally after 20 minutes in 5 mph slow traffic, the CAR DROPPED AMPS AND RPMS, shuddered and DIED. WIFE SAYS, "THAT's NOT GOOD"... 18 wheeler trucker behind me slows to a stop.
    - PUT IT INTO PARK, turned key off, and it restarted…. Wheh, but the AMPS were still low and I rode the brake and gave it a little extra gas for next couple miles to keep it from dying again….ugggggh.
    - Finally got into Springfield to the DMC hotel, and stopped outside (ambiet temperature at NOON close to 99 degrees), turned off car to go register….5 minutes later when I came out it didn’t want to start. Tried turning key 4 or 5 times, just engine coughed like it couldn’t quite get started. WIFE LOOKS AT ME AND ROLLS HER EYES (ha ha)
    - About 6 of the many DeLorean owners walking the sidewalk saw me with doors open and came running over, one in particular, a Mr. MATTHEW CRABTREE from the Rocky Mountain DeLoreans raised the engine deck and did the HOT START SWAP, then it restarted. Drove into the pavilion and parked it for 3 days.
    - When leaving the show Saturday night from cool pavilion indoors, it started right up. YEA! BUT, I drove it outside the DMC convention, parked it and went to 2 hour dinner and a couple hours later it struggled to restart with me turning the key 5 or 6 times and waiting a little between tries. Outside air temperature was 94 degrees. SO before running the battery down, I then did the HOT START swap to get it going, swapped wires back, and drove it 122 miles straight home without stopping and didn’t use AC on highway cruising, the AMPS were at 12.9 to 13…with headlights on.
    - NOTES, the battery is only 2 years old, and I always put it on trickle charger.
    - QUESTION(s): The accumulator was replaced in 2012, new Eagle starter & new Bosch Ignition Coil this month ago, so it’s weird that it usually starts on first or second try, but not very well after driving…assuming the 2012 accumulator is still good, what else does the restarting problem indicate?
    - Alternator tested at idle in park is always about 12.5-12.9, hardly ever gets to 13.
    - Best alternator you have actually used and LOVED for it’s great OUTPUT when using all electronics, AC on, headlights, ?
    - Best BATTERY?
    Thanks everyone for your ideas and factual input based on real experience!

StanPushN88IMG_8225.jpg

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

You should be getting over 14 volts across the battery at idle. The alternator probably can't keep up with the demands on the system.

Sounds like you have hard cold (three key turns?!) and hard hot starts. When cold, the car should fire up on the first turn. Remove the CSV and place it in clear bottle and try a cold start, have someone watch the valve as you crank (or vice versa).

Throw some CIS gauges on the system to confirm the presence or lack of rest pressure when hot, and we can move on from there.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

As stated, your alternator has a low output. I'm now running the DMCH alternator and my voltage is always just below 15 volts.

With any engine problems the first thing to check is the mixture. You need a dwell meter to check and set that mixture. Setting it correctly is where the engine will start the most reliable.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

i have the DMCH 140 alternator.

It doesn't really go below 13 volts when idling with headlights on, ac full blast, and radiator fans going and the stereo with a 500 watt amp on as well. if you add the break lights or wipers it may drop slightly below 13.