FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Young DeLorean fan wants to take your car, because it's neglected?!? LOCK YOUR GATE!

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Young DeLorean fan wants to take your car, because it's neglected?!? LOCK YOUR GATE!

First, thanks to Timothy DuFresne. I found these vids because of his facebook page.

Youtube only allows a certain number of characters for comments.

First, the cliffsnotes:

- This kid likes deloreans....alot apparently.
    - He finds a car he believes to be "abandoned". It's abandoned in someone's yard with a closed gate. :ugh:
    - Goes into yard, opens up the car. Probes around car, all without permission.
    - Posts vid on youtube.
    - Posts follow up vid on how he can legally get this car out of this owners possession, because they are neglecting it.

Next, the first vid. If you read through the comments, he tells how he snuck into the yard (gate was closed, but not locked, so that's ok apparently....) and how he opened the car.

Part 2: How can I get this car out of this person's possession video?

My thoughts:

If you are in Maine, and have a D stored in your back yard, or if you know the person, tell them to please lock your car and your gate. Also know there is a kid going onto your property and going through your car.

To the kid, if you are on this forum:

Yes, i left you comments on your youtube videos. I am dmc16336. I understand that you are young, and a fan of the car. I was the same way when I was your age. In fact, I photographed a D on private property too when I was 17. The car had been parked for numerous years, and I wanted pics of it.
    BUT, the car was parked in a Chevron, not a person's back yard. I spoke to the manager of the gas station, and he gave me access to the car. I took my photos, never touching the car. When done, I went back and said 'thank you' to the manager.

I can understand you wanting a DeLorean. Alot of us were in your shoes. However, this does NOT give you the right to sneak onto someone's property and videotape the car, and it DEFINITELY does not give you the right to open up a car that you do not own!!! This is INCREDIBLY disrespectful (not to mention illegal).

I will be honest, if you knocked on my door and asked to see my car, I would probably let you. Hell, i'd probably let you go for a ride at one point. But, if I knew you were sneaking onto my property, I would not be so generous. If I caught you in the act, that would have been another story all together.

As for your 2nd video, you need to look up the legal definition of 'abandoned':

Abandoned Property

n. under common property law abandoned property is/are item(s) which are apparently given up by the owner(s) and he/she/they do not intend to return to claim it back. There is unwritten but apparent surrender of legal right over that property. Common law of property allows anyone who first finds the item to own it.Though some items (like wrecked ships) become state's property.

The car is still in their possession. The owners are still in control of the vehicle, therefore it is NOT ABANDONED.
    The car is on PRIVATE PROPERTY behind a gate. It is not left on a public street, and it is NOT in an abandoned lot. ITS IN THEIR BACK YARD!!!!!

Im not trying to be an asshole... really, im not. But you need to realize you can't just walk into someone's yard, videotaping, opening up cars, and then because you don't approve of the condition try to find ways to take it from them.

BTW, i've seen "abandoned" cars in waaaaaaaaaay worse shape than this one.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

This reminds me an awful lot of the old thread on DMCTalk.com about the DeLorean which was sitting in a forest somewhere. All sorts of folks were theorizing on how to get it into the "community" and have it restored. But there were no YouTube videos. Plenty of photos, though.

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Guess kids these days have huge entitlement issues.

I do have to agree with not leaving a DeLorean out to rust. But I am fairly certain the owner will at one point sell the car to a DeLorean nut that knows how to get her back on the road.
    Obtain 'O Meter▪▼▲≡▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪▪FEB 7.4% -5.3% since JAN '15
    %0▪▪▪10▪▪▪20▪▪30▪▪▪40▪▪50▪▪▪60▪▪70▪▪80▪▪90▪▪100
    ▪▪▪|▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪◊▪▪▪▪ |

===My YouTube Channel: TheDutchTexan
    [Vlogging, DashCam Compilations & CarShows!]

My VIN:    10718

Club(s):   (DOA) (DCUK)

Wow... if I saw some punk kid opening up my car, he'd get a serious education. Don't car how big a fan he is... sneaking onto someone's property and messing with his/her car is freaking rude/stupid. This kid hasn't learned right from wrong.

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Guess kids these days have huge entitlement issues.
    Why would you paint an entire generation with a wide swath over one kid's actions? This kid is just dumb & overly zealous. I doubt he represents all humans of his generation. After all, not all kids of the 1890s turned out to be like Adolf Hitler, not all kids in the 1960s turned out to be like Jeffery Dahmer, and not all investors are like Bernie Madoff. Painting entire groups in a negative light because of one stupid person's behavior is idiotic.

After all, like Farrar pointed out, dozens of grown DeLorean owners on this board of various ages were conspiring to remove that DeLorean off private property in Northern California because it was neglected. That's no different than what the kid in the above video was talking about doing. Wait, it was... the guys on this board should KNOW BETTER because they're grown men!

My VIN:    Former Owner

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
    Why would you paint an entire generation with a wide swath over one kid's actions? This kid is just dumb & overly zealous. I doubt he represents all humans of his generation.
    Cause it's easier that way. You don't have to think critically about anything if you can make sweeping generalizations.

My VIN:    3937

He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.
    I see what you did there....

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

# 1 & #2

If he got past #1, (not my exact German Shepherd), #2 is waiting
    Attached Images

My VIN:    5875

Sadly, I have seen a lot of people like this (both children and adults) who don't have that little voice inside thier heads that says "Hey, I'm just not supposed to do this".

Be it was lost during growing up, never learned, or plain and simple, some people just don't give a crap or have enough respect for other peoples property to leave it alone.

Last week I drove the DeLorean to work for the 3rd time. We have to park our vehicles out back away from the lot cars. When I left to go home that day, the drivers door was only half latched and there were finger prints all over the door including little tiny children fingerprints.

Mind you, The car clearly has a NY liciense plate and current registration and inspection stickers on the windshield. It's somebody's car people, don't touch it!

Needless to say, I'm no longer driving the car to work...
    Andy Garand

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast