FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

View Poll Results: Where did you find your car?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • DMC

10 9.80%
  • other used/classic car dealership

4 3.92%
  • eBay

22 21.57%
  • other auction

1 0.98%
  • Craigslist

17 16.67%
  • other classified ad site (Hemmings/cars.com/etc.)

8 7.84%
  • local classifieds

7 6.86%
  • this or other DMC discussion group

14 13.73%
  • knew the owner

6 5.88%
  • other (please specify)

13 12.75%
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did you find your car?

My VIN:    10907

Where did you find your car?

Currently going through the frustrating process of car-shopping, beating my head against the wall after getting sniped at literally the last second on eBay and trying to make the logistics work of travelling out of state to check cars out. (I'm in UT so the chances of just happening to find one here for what I want to spend are... minimal.)

Would welcome any input you guys have on what buying experiences were good/bad.

Beverly Hills Car Club seems to have quite a few of them and I know at least one poster here had a good experience with them but I've seen questionable reports about them on other car forums (that they were basically car flippers who did the bare minimum to get it driveable out of the warehouse) so I'm thinking they're kind of a last resort that I'd look at if I were in CA anyway and wanted to pay the $425 to have DMC CA check it over.

Two others I've got my eye on were one in Fullerton that's currently listed for $30K with no bites and one in San Bernardino County owned by a FOAFOAF he wants $33k for, comparable to the one I lost on eBay. I was hoping to find a daily driver for $25-30K but maybe my expectations aren't realistic and I should resign myself to paying a few grand more to save myself the hassle of looking for a few more months/years in which prices could go up.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by DaraSue; 07-26-2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: typo

My VIN:    6125

I found mine right here on DMCTalk in the classified section. I'm in WI and the previous owner lived in OH. I was lucky enough to have a car savvy friend living just a half hour away from the owner. After he checked it out and gave me the OK I rented a car and drove 8 hours to check out the car myself. It was "The One" so we made a deal and I drove it home to WI.

My VIN:    Between VINs

^^ That is my plan.

Co-worker has a cousin who has one in a warehouse in Eau Claire, she's supposed to put out feelers for me but I don't know anything about it at all.

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

I found mine on eBay but the transaction went down outside of it either because the auction ended early for me or because the auction ended and the car didn't sell, I can't remember which - this was back in 2002.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    6585

DMC-GG before they became a partner with Houston.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    1710

I bought my first two DeLoreans from DMC News members. DMC News was an email list-serve that preceded DeLorean message boards such as DMC Talk. Anyway, it's my goal to buy another DeLorean next year, and I hope to purchase from a fellow forum member when that time comes as well. I just like the idea of buying a car that is owned by a known enthusiast. You get a better idea of the cars individual strengths and faults, how it was maintained & restored, etc. When you look at dealer-sale cars, you can't get any sort of an honest answer on how often the car was driven, how it was maintained, how the DeLorean-specific faults were dealt with (or if they were remedied at all), where replacement parts were bought & who installed them, etc.

That being said, both of my cars had their fair share of issues surface after I purchased them. That's to be expected with any car of this vintage, though. Especially considering most DeLoreans have been stored long-term (which is way rougher on them than being driven), and DMC-12s themselves were a brand new car, from a brand new company, produced for pennies on the dollar, years faster than any other production car that has ever come to market. In essence, these cars have built-in flaws, and storage/lack of use has not been kind to them.

As an example, 99% of Beverly Hills Car Club DeLoreans not only rock their original electrics, but also run their original belts, hoses, and even tires. There is a reason why they advertise their cars for so much less than everyone else; most of their cars will just barely move under their own power. BHCC isn't alone in this, either. The majority of DeLoreans for sale at any given time are in such a condition. These aren't American muscle cars with simple pushrod engines and carburetors; they are (often) fickle little cars with a very early form of mechanical (not electronic!) fuel injection, embryonic computers/electrics, cooling & HVAC systems that traverse the entire length of the car, etc. Most people didn't have a clue how to maintain them, so they simply weren't; or varying mechanics bungled repairs over the years to keep the cars barely operational, etc.

Moral of the story: don't get in a rush to buy, and don't buy a car just because it's nearby. These cars trade hands pretty often, so wait for the appropriate one for you to come along. Even if it isn't near, you'll find fellow owners will gladly go look at the car for you & report back. Trust me, we don't mind doing it- it's always fun to go see a newly surfaced DeLorean in your area.
    Louie Golden

My VIN:    5835

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Cool

My car was sitting under a tree for fifteen years. I would walk by it while walking with my first born and say "I'm
    Gonna inquire about that some day". Later on in life , I was
    Walking with my second born and the guy was outside so I said
    "You ever gonna sell That Delorean"
    He said
    "Why do you want to buy it?"
    I said "I don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars ."
    He said "how about $5000"

20 minutes later he signed the title Over to me.

I didn't even know about the forums until After I bought it.
    Lou and "Boo"- The man you love to hate.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Boo" VIN 5835
    Born October 1981 - Brought back to life December 2011
    "Fastest naturally aspirated PRV" Delorean
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Blue" - 1985 Fiero GT
    3800sc series 2

My VIN:    7178

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Lou and "Boo" View Post
    My car was sitting under a tree for fifteen years. I would walk by it while walking with my first born and say "I'm
    Gonna inquire about that some day". Later on in life , I was
    Walking with my second born and the guy was outside so I said
    "You ever gonna sell That Delorean"
    He said
    "Why do you want to buy it?"
    I said "I don't want to pay tens of thousands of dollars ."
    He said "how about $5000"

20 minutes later he signed the title Over to me.

I didn't even know about the forums until After I bought it.
    That's a great story! I wish that kind of thing would happen to me, but I have only ever seen ONE in the wild at all.

My VIN:    6272 10638 17158

My 81 I found on here first, went up on eBay, really didn't have the cash so I never bid, winning bidder flaked so I went and had a look at it as we drove down south on vacation. I bank transferred him the cash a few days later when I was still down south and picked up enroute home...

Which brings me to my 82, sorta 4-5 hours after I paid for my 81, my boss calls me, says I found you a wrecked one In a barn about 10min from my house (we do restorations) , friend storing it for a friend. He told me the price, looked at it the day after I got home. No cash at the time, but 3 months or so later I ended up with it.

My 83 was some completely random post on a local buy and sell on Facebook, buddy tagged me, Beat up DeLorean in a feild. I called the moment I saw the ad.

My VIN:    2347

I found mine on Craigslist. It was a little easier to search Craigslist a couple years ago. They had a website which would search all of Craigslist for what you were looking for, instead of a single area near you. Then Craigslist had the site closed down. If it wasn't for that site, I probably never would have found it and it was only 100 miles away!
    Everyone is tough through a keyboard

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast